If you love pickles, have you tried fried pickles? In recent years, fried pickles have become a popular appetizer to order at restaurants. As much as I find fried pickles to be amazing, but I’m not thrilled with the heavy dose of fat that comes with the out-to-eat appetizer versions. Now you can make them at home for a fraction of the calories with this Air Fryer Fried Pickles recipe.
Air Fryer Fried Pickles
Feel like you’re eating a decadent restaurant appetizer (without the side of guilt) with these air fried pickles made healthier with the air fryer.
Are you a WW member? These Air Fryer Fried Pickles are 3 points on the MyWW Blue and MyWW Purple plans and 4 points on the MyWW Green plan, per serving when you make 12 servings. (Updated for new MyWW plan February, 2020.)
The number of pickle chips per serving will vary somewhat depending on how thick you slice the pickles, but figure that the recipe is for one jar of pickles and a serving is 1/12 of the whole jar.
Healthy Air Fryer Cooking
You’ll quickly discover that people who try to eat healthier and Weight Watchers members love the Air Fryer because you can create crispy foods that taste similar to fried, for a fraction of the fat. I own an air fryer and and air fryer oven and either will work fine for this recipe. The air fryer oven is especially nice for air fryer pickles because you can lay them all out and cook them at once, vs. in several batches with the air fryer basket.
Check out this post that explains air fryer cooking and if you are shopping for an air fryer, our post about how to choose the best air fryer for you.
A lot of people ask if an Air Fryer or an Instant Pot is a better investment, so this post gives an in-depth comparison of the Instant Pot vs. Air Fryer.
FAQ – Answers to Questions about Air Fryer Fried Pickles
Here are answers to commonly asked questions about air fryer pickles.
How long do you air fry pickles? We suggest frying your pickles for 5 minutes at a high heat, being careful not to overcrowd. Continue to cook to desired crispness.
What temperature do I use for air fryer pickles? Cook your pickles in the air fryer at 375 for about 5 minutes or until they reach desired crispness.
Can you make fried pickles in the air fryer? Absolutely! The simple recipe below makes them crispy and delicious.
How do you make healthy fried pickle chips? Our fried pickle recipe is a much healthier version than the fried version of fried pickles that you find in restaurants. Feel free to vary the coating as needed for your personal tastes and dietary needs.
How do you make air fried pickles crispy? There are a couple tips that will assure your air fryer fried pickles turn out crispy. Be sure you only fry a few pickle chips at a time. Spray with cooking spray to give extra crispness. Finally, a coating that includes flour, cornstarch, and Panko breadcrumbs will give a crispy coating.
How do you re-heat fried pickles? Easy! Take your left over air fried pickles out of the fridge and air fryer them for about 3 to 4 mins at 360 degrees.
Can you eat fried pickles cold? I enjoy air fried pickles hot, but I’ve eaten them after they have cooled down and still thought they were yummy. It really is your own preference.
How do I make low carb air fried pickles? Do you need to eat low carb, keto, or paleo? No problem. Here’s how to make your air fryer pickles low carb. Substitute the flour with almond flour and the breadcrumbs with crushed pork rinds. Replace cornstarch with arrowroot flour. Now you are set! Be sure to adjust calories/points accordingly.
How do I make gluten free fried pickles? Use the recipe below and substitute the gluten-free flour of your choice for the all-purpose flour and gluten-free bread or cracker crumbs for the Panko.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Pickles
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make your own air fryer pickles.
- 32oz jar whole large dill pickles
- 1 tsp. Cajun spice
- 2 eggs
- non-fat milk
- Panko crumbs
Fried Pickles in Air Fryer
Enjoy this healthier appetizer using your air fryer or air fryer oven. Your family and friends will love your air fryer pickles.
Here are a few additional tips to make sure your healthy fried pickles turn out extra crisp and delicious:
- Be sure to blot the pickles well to remove excess moisture. I like to lay them on paper towels to dry while I prepare my other ingredients, then blot them before continuing with the recipe.
- Can you use pre-sliced pickles? You can, but keep in mind that they will be harder to work with and the coating might not stick as well or might fall off when flipping. These thicken cut chips will work better.
- If you don’t have cornstarch, you can skip that step but keep in mind the pickles won’t be quite as crispy.
Weight Watchers Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- 32 oz jar whole large dill pickles
- 2 cups of all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of cayenne
- 1 tsp. Cajun spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of non-fat milk
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- Slice pickles into somewhat thick, 1 inch slices.
- Drain pickles and blot with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, eggs and milk to create a batter. Mix well.
- In an separate bowl, add Panko crumbs.
- Dip each pickle chip into the flour mixture, then into the Panko crumbs.
- Heat air fryer to 375 degrees.
- Add a few pickles at a time to air fryer basket. If desired, spritz with cooking spray. Cook for 5 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Enjoy with Ranch dressing or your favorite dipping sauce.
Slice pickles into somewhat thick, 1 inch slices.
Drain pickles and blot with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, eggs and milk to create a batter.
In an separate bowl, add Panko crumbs.
Dip each pickle chip into the flour mixture, then into the panko crumbs.
Heat airfryer to 375 degrees.
Add a few pickles at a time to air fryer basket. Cook for 5 minutes.
Enjoy with Ranch dressing or your favorite dipping sauce.
Air Fryer Fried Pickle Dipping Sauce
Here are some options for dipping those delicious air fryer pickles.
- Ranch dressing. Looking for a lower calorie option? Check out our veggie ranch dip that is zero WW points.
- Cajun dipping sauce. Mix 1 cup Ranch dressing of choice with 2 tsp Cajuin spice mix or our no-sugar rib rub.
- Onion dip. One cup of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream with this homemade onion soup mix seasoning.
- Hot & creamy dip. One cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream with 2 tsp hot sauce or 1 tsp prepared horseradish.
- Dill dip. One cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream with 2 tsp dill (fresh if possible) and 1 tsp lemon juice.
What’s your favorite air fryer recipe? Share in the comments below.
Fried Pickles in the Oven
Yes, fried pickles can be made in the oven. Follow the directions above to create the pickles. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment. Pre-heat oven to 400. Cook pickles for 4 minutes. Carefully turn over and cook for 3-4 minutes more or until pickles reach desired crispness.
More Air Fryer Posts You Will Love
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks – Looking for a delicious breakfast idea that is sure to be a hit with the family? This Air Fryer french toast sticks recipe will be at the top of your list!
Air Fryer Baked Ravioli – Awhile back at one of my favorite restaurants, I was able to splurge on a wonderful appetizer of fried ravioli. Crispy coated and served with marinara dipping sauce, fried ravioli taste amazing, but are also high in fat and calories. When I got an air fryer, I was ready to make a healthier version. Check out this Air Fryer Baked Ravioli recipe.
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – Do you want to use your Air Fryer to make healthier meals that taste amazing? Check out this Air Fryer Chicken Tenders recipe for a delicious healthy dinner.
Air Fryer Frozen French Fries – Best French Fries Ever – Sometimes the most simple foods are best. Here is how to make frozen french fries turn out hot and cripy from the air fryer every time.
Air Fryer Panko Breaded Salmon Recipe – Healthy Air Fryer Dinner Recipe – This healthy dinner cooks perfectly in the air fryer.
Pin This Air Fryer Pickles Post for Later
Free Weight Watchers Hacks!
Lose weight faster!
*Low point snacks & recipes to keep you full and satisfied.
*The best foods to eat when you are following the WW program.
*Tips & insider tricks to make following the Weight Watchers program easier and more enjoyable.