Almonds are mighty little pint-sized nuggets of healthy goodness! Even though they are high in fat, nuts (especially almonds and walnuts) contain the good fats that our bodies need to perform at optimum levels.
Almonds can be a great high protein portable snack that can be carried with you anywhere without the need for refrigeration. The protein from almonds can be very filling, thereby reducing your urge to succumb to less healthy options when you are famished.
A handful of almonds can be your best weapon against the “hangries” (overwhelming agitation that results from extreme hunger)!
The Nutritional Benefits of Almonds
Here are a few fast fun facts about the mighty almond:
- Almonds contain a massive amount of nutrients, per 1 ounce serving:
- Fiber 3.5 grams
- Protein 6 grams
- Fat 19 grams (9 of which are monounsaturated)
- Vitamin E. 37% of the RDA
- Manganese 32% of the RDA
- Magnesium 20% of the RDA
- Almonds are high in Vitamin E which helps protect your cell membranes from damage
- Almonds can assist with blood sugar control
- Almonds can help lower bad cholesterol in the body
- And my favorite – Almonds, because of their high protein content, can reduce your hunger, therefore you take in less overall calories per day.
The key to success when incorporating almonds into your diet is PORTION control. If you don’t have a food scale (which I highly recommend as a wonderful tool in your kitchen), 1 ounce = approximately 23 almonds. Eating an entire bag in one sitting is not conducive to your health.
Measure BEFORE you begin eating, and put away the rest of the bag. I like to measure out the entire bag in 1 ounce baggies before I put one in my mouth; this way, I am guaranteed to have an accurate count of how many I am eating.
Look for raw, unsalted and unflavored varieties for maximum benefit. Added sugar and flavorings will only add unnecessary calories, and take away from the wonderful natural sweetness that the almond provides. The less sugar & salt in your diet, the better!
Almonds can be an integral tool to have in your best health toolbox. Try to incorporate a serving of almonds into your diet every day and reap the benefits of a body fed well with nutrient rich food.
Leave a Reply