Hands down, this is the Best You’ll Ever Eat Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe. Years ago I fell in love with this recipe when my aunt made it for a family dinner at my grandmother’s house.
You’ll be be pleased to discover just how easy it is to make. The first time I ate this at my grandmother’s house, I kept raving about how amazing it tasted, and then my aunt shared with me how easy it is to make because it starts with instant mashed potatoes. No peeling and boiled potatoes!
Next you add pretty much every dairy product you can think of. Yep, there’s nothing healthy about this recipe so don’t bother trying to lighten it up. This is one of those recipes that you make once or twice a year for the holidays or for company, then savor and enjoy it to the fullest.
This recipe makes one very full 9×13 or two smaller 8×8 pans, so it’s great for serving a crowd. We always have leftovers (my favorite!), which is saying a lot for our family of 7. It’s just as good the next day, and I like to eat the leftovers hot or cold. I’m weird like that.
Best You’ll Ever Eat Mashed Potato Casserole
I save a little bit of the cheese to sprinkle on top for the last few minutes of baking.
- 4 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 stick butter
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 c sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 4 tsp chives or parsley
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- Mix potatoes, water, milk, butter, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, reserving about ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Pour into one large 9x13 or two 8x8 baking dishes.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until set.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese and bake 5 minutes more.
What’s your favorite mashed potato recipe?
Check out our new Recipe Index! All of The Holy Mess Recipes in one handy location!
Family Recipes, Chef Bekah (culinary student), Paleo/Primal, and Healthy Recipes for Weight Loss.