Marble Squares is a recipe that just says “home” to me. My mom must have made this recipe 100 times, and lots of love went into this recipe every time. My husband loves these bar cookies, and it was one of his most-requested when we would go to visit my mom in Illinois.
My daughter requested these for the holidays this year. I’m not sure I had ever made this recipe by myself before from start to finish.
I admit these cookies are a bit more work than some cookie bar recipes, but they are so pretty and well worth the effort. Everyone loves them!
To start these cookies, make a cream cheese and sugar mixture.
The next step involves melting unsweetened chocolate with butter and water. I don’t think I’ve baked with unsweetened chocolate a single time without laughing about the fact that every single person has to try unsweetened chocolate once as a kid before they will realize it does NOT taste good!
The chocolate mixture is poured into a jelly roll pan.
Carefully dollop on the cream cheese mixture.
Now for the fun part! Use a butter knife to cut through the dough in both directions.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- Soften cream cheese and mix with egg and sugar. Set aside.
- Combine butter, chocolate, and water in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Combine flour and sugar and add to chocolate mixture.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Pour into an ungreased jelly roll pan.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture over and cut through with a knife.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
Leave a Reply