Here are five Bible verses about false accusations. As Christians, we know that God fights for us, and we have ultimate victory. There is little else that compares to the pain involved when you are falsely accused. We cling to these promises during times of wrongful accusation.
I’ve experienced this several times in my life and felt the heart break involved.
- How I Relied on God When I Was Falsely Accused
- Stages of Emotion & Grief with False Accusations
- Best Verses for False Accusations in the Bible
- When to Use False Accusations Scripture Verses
- Ways to Use Bible Verses for Comfort
How I Relied on God When I Was Falsely Accused
For the six years that we were foster parents, we lived in fear of being falsely accused of child abuse. Due to the intense nature of the work, we were taught that it’s not a matter of “if” but a matter of “when” a false accusation occurs.
False accusations are no small issue because they can result in criminal charges, your children being removed from your home, your reputation shattered, and so much more.
When a case worker falsely accused us of mistreating the children in my care, I was devastated. Thankfully, another worker came to our defense and the matter was dropped, but what a scary and emotional time.
Years later, due to the inadequacies of the child protection system when it comes to children with severe behaviors due to early childhood trauma, we were taken to court for failure to adequately protect and care for our child. We hired an attorney and the charges were dropped, but the whole situation was incredibly painful and downright scary.
Stages of Emotion & Grief with False Accusations
When you are falsely accused, you may go through these stages of emotion. I did.
- First comes shock. It doesn’t seem possible that someone would say these things about you.
- Next comes intense anger. How could anyone accuse you of this after all the good you have done and how hard you have tried? You may find yourself wanting to lash out. You write letters defending yourself and explain the validity of your stance to anyone who will listen.
- You doubt yourself. Even though you know you are completely innocent, you begin to question your motive. False accusations do that to you. You wonder, Did have ill intention? Did I somehow make this mistake without even realizing it? Did I do all I could or should I have done more?
- Next comes fear. You worry about every possible long-term scenario. You may lose sleep and start to manifest physical symptoms. Will your family be ruined? Will this break you financially? Will your friends and family turn against you? Will your worst fears be realized?
- What can settle in is deep-seated resentment. When you are falsely accused, resentment is quite easy to fall into and difficult to rise above. You doubt everyone and trust no one. You may begin to disconnect and tune out all emotion in an effort to go numb from the pain.
- Finally, without proper healing, this aching wound can lead to bitterness. We’ve all met people who have given in to long-term bitterness. Talk to them for more than a few minutes and their painful situation is the first thing they bring up. They begin to see the world through the lenses of the painful situation. They have not found healing.
Many of these feelings are normal and even healthy to experience for a time, but you don’t want to stay stuck there. This is not God’s will for your life.
If you have been wrongly accused, only by the power of the Holy Spirit you can learn to love, trust, and forgive. You cannot do this on your own. You must rely on God’s power in order to move forward.
Whether you have been falsely accused of a crime, wrongly blamed for something you didn’t do, or falsely persecuted, use the Bible verses below to rely on God’s strength.
The following Bible verses are ones I have clung to during times of accusation. May they bring you healing.
Best Verses for False Accusations in the Bible
If you are in the middle of a situation where you are facing false accusations, use these verses to find comfort and peace.
1. Exodus 14:14 – God will fight for you.
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.Exodus 14:14
This verse is one that has been incredibly powerful for me during times of false accusation. I remember walking into a meeting with about 15 professionals who would decide if we would be taken to court. I had a notebook filled with information about our son’s situation. I wrote this verse at the top of each page.
Of note, when we look at this verse in the context of the whole Bible, this is not saying don’t stand up for yourself. Instead, this reminds me that there are times I should speak and times it’s okay to remain silent. God has ultimate control and will bring deliverance according to His timing. I don’t have to get in the last word.
2. Romans 12:18-19 – Live peaceably with everyone
If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’Romans 12:18-19
Oh, the revenge I have acted out in my mind! Yet this is not God’s will. Romans 12 tells us not to avenge ourselves but leave it to God.
3. James 1:2-4 – Count it as joy when you meet trials
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.James 1:2-4
The trials you are currently facing will strengthen your faith and produce fruits of the spirit. This isn’t easy in the moment but it will have lasting rewards.
4. Matthew 5:11-12 – Blessed are you…when persecuted
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.Matthew 5:11-12
Not only can we trust in God’s provision during times of accusations, we can even rejoice because we will be blessed. You might see these blessings later in your life or in eternity, but rest knowing God has the situation under His control. You will be rewarded in God’s time.
5. Isaiah 54:17 – No weapon will prevail
No weapon forged against you will prevail,Isaiah 54:17
and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
and this is their vindication from me,”
declares the Lord.
This passage brings me such comfort because I trust in God’s promise that no weapon formed against me is stronger that God’s power.
You can also trust in God’s promise that vindication will be His. God has your situation under His will and control, and He will bring you ultimate good.
When to Use False Accusations Scripture Verses
Use these Bible verses for when you are accused of a crime or wrongdoing you didn’t commit, such as:
- people give false witness or false testimony against you
- you are accussed of a crime you didn’t commit
- people speak wrongly of you in relationships, like speaking lies about you
- family members or friends who talk about you behind your back
- divorce situations
- wrong or false assumptions are made about you
Ways to Use Bible Verses for Comfort
If you are going through a time when you are wrongly accused, use the Bible verses in these ways:
- Write the verses in a journal during Bible study and prayer time.
- Speak the verses out loud when you are stressed and upset.
- Draw creative Bible journaling pages centered around them.
- Write the verses on note cards and put them where you will see them daily.
- Pray the words of these verses back to God as an act of trust and worship.
If you have been judged wrongly, what brought you comfort during this time of trial? Share about it in the comments below.
More Posts You Will Love
7 Bible Verses about Trusting in the Lord – Are you struggling to trust God during a tough life situation? Use these 7 verses to trust God more completely.
For When You Desperately Need A Miracle – We needed a miracle, and I prayed for one. Here’s what happened.
Should You Pray to God for a Sign? – Like Gideon, should you ask God for a sign? Here’s what the Bible says.
Get a Free Bible Journaling Kit Now!
Journaling guide & reading plan for strong faith.