This recipe for Cranberry Fruit Gelatin Salad was new to our Thanksgiving table this year and a hit all around. The classic recipe comes from my father-in-law, Bob.
Cranberry Fruit Gelatin Salad is an old-fashioned jello salad recipe. The heart of the recipe is a can of cranberry sauce, and in addition this salad has a finely chopped apple, a finely chopped orange, and a can of pineapple, giving it a variety of textures and flavors.
Traditionally prepared in a round jello mold, it can also be prepared in any other dish or dishes to make it more quick and easy.
- 2 pkg. strawberry, raspberry, or cranberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water (or add reserved pineapple juice to boiling water to make 2 cups)
- 1 can cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped very finely
- 2 medium oranges, chopped very finely
- 1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple (reserve juice, if desired)
- Melt cranberry sauce. Add boiling water to gelatin in large bowl; stir 2 minutes until dissolved). Stir in melted cranberry sauce; mix well. Add chopped apple and orange, then pineapple. Can be poured into a jello mold, 9x13 glass dish, or individual cups. Refrigerate until firmly set.