Are you searching for a waffle recipe that creates fresh, delicious, crispy waffles? This recipe hits the mark in every way.
There is a key ingredient that leads to these waffles crispness — cornstarch replaces some of the flour. I was surprised at how much cornstarch is in this recipe and was somewhat hesitant to see if it would lend an off flavor to these waffles, but no worries — the flavor is great.
Important tips for this recipe:
- You may substitute whole wheat or white whole wheat flour for this recipe, but they won’t be nearly as fluffy.
- We added fresh blueberries which are in season right now. These are good plain, or another favorite addition in our family is chopped banana and chocolate chips.
For a pumpkin version for this recipe, click here: Cinnamon Pumpkin Waffles.
Extra Crispy Homemade Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 3 eggs separated
- 2 T sugar
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, melted
- fresh blueberries optional
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, milk, and vanilla.
- Add egg yolk mixture to the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Gently fold in the egg white mixture.
- Mixture should be completely combined, but still lumpy.
- Add blueberries and mix until just combined.
- Cook according to your waffle iron's directions.
Hi! I’m Bekah. I’m Sara’s daughter and I’m attending culinary school. I love cooking for family and friends, and I’ll be sharing my favorite recipes with you. Click hear to read my blog post about my culinary school experiences.