Use these 30 Bible verses for a grateful heart to grow in gratitude to God for who He is and the ways He is working in your life.
Are you grateful to God for the many blessings He has given you? While I’m so incredibly thankful for all God has done for me, I’ve realized that so much of the time I take my blessings for granted. If you can relate, use these Bible verses to develop an attitude and practice of gratitude. Learn what Scripture says about gratitude and thanksgiving.
By recognizing and expressing to God gratitude and thankfulness, you will deepen your faith and grow in wisdom.
As a Christians, you know that gratitude goes much deeper than a daily reflection about the good things you have in life. You give all your thanks and gratitude to the Source of all goodness.
James 1:17 tells us, “ Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” All good gifts you have come from God.
Gratitude is thanking God for the specific blessings He brings into your life.
Gratitude is also honoring and praising God for who He is as your loving Heavenly Father who is worthy of all praise.
Bible Verses for a Grateful Heart
Use these Bible verses of thankfulness to reflect on all the ways God has showered you with blessings.
1. Psalm 118:24 – This is the day the Lord has made.
This is the day that the Lord has made;Psalm 118:24
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
2. James 1:17 – Every good and perfect gift is from above.
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to changeJames 1:17
3. Isaiah 26:3 – Get perfect peace.
You keep him in perfect peaceIsaiah 26:3
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
4. Philippians 4:6 – Do not be anxious about anything.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.Philippians 4:6
5. John 15:10-11 – Abide in His love.
If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.John 15:10-11
6. Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.Colossians 3:16
7. Romans 5:20 – Grace abounded all the more.
Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more…Romans 5:20
8. 1 Peter 5:5 – Clothe yourself with humility.
Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for ‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’1 Peter 5:5
9. Matthew 6:12 – Forgive us our trespasses.
and forgive us our debts,Matthew 6:12
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
10. Ephesians 2:8-9 – By grace you have been saved.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.Ephesians 2:8-9
11. Exodus 16:8 – Your grumbling is against the Lord.
And Moses said, ‘When the Lord gives you in the evening meat to eat and in the morning bread to the full, because the Lord has heard your grumbling that you grumble against him—what are we? Your grumbling is not against us but against the Lord.’Exodus 16:8
12. Psalm 145:2-3 – Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised.
Every day I will bless youPsalm 145:2-3
and praise your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised,
and his greatness is unsearchable.
13. Psalm 150:1-6 – Praise Him for His mightly deeds.
Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens!
Praise him for his mighty deeds;
praise him according to his excellent greatness!
Praise him with trumpet sound;Psalm 150:1-6
praise him with lute and harp!
Praise him with tambourine and dance;
praise him with strings and pipe!
Praise him with sounding cymbals;
praise him with loud clashing cymbals!
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord!
14. Psalm 16:7 – Bless to Lord who gives counsel.
I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;Psalm 16:7
in the night also my heart instructs me.
15. Psalm 28:7 – The Lord is my strength and my shield.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;Psalm 28:7
in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;
my heart exults,
and with my song I give thanks to him.
16. Psalm 26:3 – I walk in faithfulness.
For your steadfast love is before my eyes,Psalm 26:3
and I walk in your faithfulness.
17. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 – Pray without ceasing.
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
18. 1 Corinthians 1:9 – God is faithful.
God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.1 Corinthians 1:9
19. 1 Samuel 16:7 – Man looks on outward appearance, but God looks on the heart.
But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.’1 Samuel 16:7
20. John 2:11 – His disciples believed Him.
This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him.John 2:11
21. Psalm 104:10-11 – You make springs gush forth.
You make springs gush forth in the valleys;Psalm 104:10-11
they flow between the hills;
they give drink to every beast of the field;
the wild donkeys quench their thirst.
22. Matthew 6:8 – God knows what you need before you ask.
…for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.Matthew 6:8
23. Acts 2:46 – They received with glad and generous hearts.
And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts…Acts 2:46
24. Ephesians 2:5 – By grace you have been saved.
even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved…Ephesians 2:5
25. James 2:13 – Mercy triumphs over judgement.
For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.James 2:13
26. Psalm 148:1 – Praise the Lord from the heavens.
Praise the Lord!Psalm 148:1
Praise the Lord from the heavens;
praise him in the heights!
27. Psalm 106:1 – His steadfast love endures forever.
Praise the Lord!Psalm 106:1
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!
28. Acts 16:25 – Praying and singing hymns in prison.
About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.Acts 16:25
29. Lamentations 3:22-23 – His mercies never come to an end.
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;Lamentations 3:22-23
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
30. Psalm 100:2 – Serve the Lord with gladness.
Serve the Lord with gladness!Psalm 100:2
Come into his presence with singing!
30 Days of Gratitude Daily Bible Reading Plan PDF Printable
Use these Bible verses about thanksgiving and gratefulness to read one section each day from the Bible that encourages you to reflect on God’s goodness and love for you.
30 Day Christian Gratitude Journal
Take your spiritual gratitude practice to a deeper level with our new printable Gratitude Journal.
Here’s exactly what you receive when you invest in the Christian Gratitude Journal. Each item will guide your month’s activities so that 30 days from now, you’ll be more peaceful, refreshed, and invigorated:
- 30 Daily gratitude journaling pages…to grow in gratitude and more peace all month long.
- Monthly gratitude tracker…to record your progress as you dedication time to the Lord.
- Daily Bible verses for gratitude…to spend time in God’s Word each day in a realistic way.
- Huge list of blessings prompts…so you never run out of ideas for your daily gratitude list.
- Simple acts of gratitude idea sheet…for meaningful ways to express gratitude in small acts of kindness.
- Lessons learned reflection guide…to review how God has grown your faith this month.
How Gratitude Changes Attitude
Use this gratitude daily Bible reading plan to remind yourself of the blessings you have to be thankful for.
Thank God for what He has worked in your life.
You can even take this a step further and thank God for the struggles and challenges you currently face.
In this post about gratitude and weight loss, I wrote about how seeing the blessings (even if tiny) shifts your attitude toward recognizing the positive.
During the last year when we all have faced challenges due to the quarantine and Coronavirus, I have seen how a spirit of gratitude has been a positive influence among communities.
Accepting life’s challenges with a spirit of gratitude is no easy task. This requires ongoing, intentional effort and spiritual maturity. This tough work is worth it – I have seen the results in my life and in the lives of others around me.
More Bible Verse Posts
100 Ways to Find Gratitude During Tough Times – The year of 2020 has been a difficult one for all of us. Here are 100 reasons to be thankful.
A Prayer for Healing and Protection with Free Printable – A prayer of blessing for all those dealing with the Coronavirus and quarantine.
30 Days of Knowing My Identity in Christ Bible Reading Plan – Know who and whose you are in Jesus.
30 Day Way of Salvation Bible Reading Plan – Follow each day’s verse to learn the path to salvation through Jesus Christ.
30 Days of Praising God in the Storms of Life Bible Reading Plan – How to praise God in the midst of life’s toughest situations.
Pin this Gratitude Daily Bible Reading Plan for Later
Get a Free Bible Journaling Kit Now!
Journaling guide & reading plan for strong faith.