Use these Bible verses about wise decisions for guidance from scripture on making good choices.
Do you wanting to grow in wisdom? Do you struggle with knowing which decision to make or wonder what God’s will is in certain areas of your life?
- Scriptures on Making Good Choices
- 1. Psalm 32:8 – God will instruct and teach you.
- 2. Philippians 4:9 – Practice what you learned from me.
- 3. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 – Encourage one another.
- 4. Proverbs 3:11-12 – Do not despise discipline.
- 5. Proverbs 1:7 – The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
- 6. Psalm 25:4 – Teach me your path.
- 7. Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly.
- 8. Psalm 25:5 – Lead me in your truth.
- 9. Matthew 11:29-30 – My yoke is easy.
- 10. Proverbs 4:11- I have led you.
- 11. Psalm 25:8-9 – He teaches the humble.
- 12. Psalm 143:10 – Teach me your will.
- 13. Proverbs 12:1 – Love discipline.
- 14. John 14:26 – The Helper will teach you.
- 15. Deuteronomy 8:5 – The Lord disciplines you.
- 16. Psalm 37:30 – The righteous utter wisdom.
- 17. Proverbs 3:7 – Be not wise in your own eyes.
- 18. Proverbs 4:6-7 – Wisdom will guard you.
- 19. Ecclesiastes 2:26 – God gives wisdom.
- 20. 1 Corinthians 1:25 – The foolish of God is wiser than men.
- 21. Colossians 2:2-3 – Knit together in love.
- 22. James 3:17 – Wisdom from above is pure.
- 23. James 1:5 – God gives wisdom generously to all.
- 24. 1 Corinthians 1:30 – Jesus became to us wisdom from God.
- 25. Proverbs 29:11 – A wise man holds quietly back.
- 26. Ephesians 5:15-16 – Walk not as unwise but as wise.
- 27. 1 Corinthians 3:18 – Become a fool to become wise.
- 29. Isaiah 55:8 – God's thoughts are not your thoughts.
- 30. Romans 11:33 – God's wisdom is unsearchable.
- What's The Difference Between Wisdom and Knowledge in the Bible?
- What Does The Bible Say About Praying For Wisdom?
- Ask God for Help to Make Choices
- Free PDF Download Bible Reading Plan about Wisdom
- How to Grow in Biblical Wisdom
Scriptures on Making Good Choices
Use these Bible verses about Godly decisions to learn what scripture teaches about wisdom.
1. Psalm 32:8 – God will instruct and teach you.
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;Psalm 32:8
I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
2. Philippians 4:9 – Practice what you learned from me.
What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.Philippians 4:9
3. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 – Encourage one another.
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.1 Thessalonians 5:11
4. Proverbs 3:11-12 – Do not despise discipline.
My son, do not despise the Lord’s disciplineProverbs 3:11-12
or be weary of his reproof,
for the Lord reproves him whom he loves,
as a father the son in whom he delights.
5. Proverbs 1:7 – The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;Proverbs 1:7
fools despise wisdom and instruction.
6. Psalm 25:4 – Teach me your path.
Make me to know your ways, O Lord;Psalm 25:4
teach me your paths.
7. Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.Colossians 3:16
8. Psalm 25:5 – Lead me in your truth.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,Psalm 25:5
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long.
9. Matthew 11:29-30 – My yoke is easy.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.Matthew 11:29-30
10. Proverbs 4:11- I have led you.
I have taught you the way of wisdom;Proverbs 4:11
I have led you in the paths of uprightness.
11. Psalm 25:8-9 – He teaches the humble.
Good and upright is the Lord;
therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in what is right,
and teaches the humble his way.
12. Psalm 143:10 – Teach me your will.
Teach me to do your will,Psalm 143:10
for you are my God!
Let your good Spirit lead me
on level ground!
13. Proverbs 12:1 – Love discipline.
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates reproof is stupid.Proverbs 12:1
14. John 14:26 – The Helper will teach you.
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.John 14:26
15. Deuteronomy 8:5 – The Lord disciplines you.
Know then in your heart that, as a man disciplines his son, the Lord your God disciplines you.Deuteronomy 8:5
16. Psalm 37:30 – The righteous utter wisdom.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,
and his tongue speaks justice.Psalm 37:30
17. Proverbs 3:7 – Be not wise in your own eyes.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.Proverbs 3:7
18. Proverbs 4:6-7 – Wisdom will guard you.
Do not forsake her, and she will keep you;
love her, and she will guard you.
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom,
and whatever you get, get insight.Proverbs 4:6-7
19. Ecclesiastes 2:26 – God gives wisdom.
For to the one who pleases him God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy, but to the sinner he has given the business of gathering and collecting, only to give to one who pleases God. This also is vanity and a striving after wind.Ecclesiastes 2:26
20. 1 Corinthians 1:25 – The foolish of God is wiser than men.
For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.1 Corinthians 1:25
21. Colossians 2:2-3 – Knit together in love.
…that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.Colossians 2:2-3
22. James 3:17 – Wisdom from above is pure.
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.James 3:17
23. James 1:5 – God gives wisdom generously to all.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.James 1:5
24. 1 Corinthians 1:30 – Jesus became to us wisdom from God.
And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption…1 Corinthians 1:30
25. Proverbs 29:11 – A wise man holds quietly back.
A fool gives full vent to his spirit,
but a wise man quietly holds it back.Proverbs 29:11
26. Ephesians 5:15-16 – Walk not as unwise but as wise.
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.Ephesians 5:15-16
27. 1 Corinthians 3:18 – Become a fool to become wise.
Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.1 Corinthians 3:18
Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.James 3:13
29. Isaiah 55:8 – God’s thoughts are not your thoughts.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.Isaiah 55:8
30. Romans 11:33 – God’s wisdom is unsearchable.
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!Romans 11:33
What’s The Difference Between Wisdom and Knowledge in the Bible?
Knowledge is understanding and having information. Wisdom is being able to judge and discern what is right or what God’s will is for you.
Got Questions says this,
Wisdom and knowledge, both recurring themes in the Bible, are related but not synonymous. The dictionary defines wisdom as “the ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting.” Knowledge, on the other hand, is “information gained through experience, reasoning, or acquaintance.
Knowledge can exist without wisdom, but not the other way around. One can be knowledgeable without being wise. Knowledge is knowing how to use a gun; wisdom is knowing when to use it and when to keep it holstered.
What Does The Bible Say About Praying For Wisdom?
In the book of James, the Bible tells us that if any of you lack wisdom, you should pray and ask God for it, and He will give it to you. This is such an incredible promise from God and one I rely on often.
Make it a habit to always seek the Lord, His Word, and His counsel whenever tough situations arise. Look to prayer and the Word of God to guide your footsteps.
Turn to God first, and after that turn to Godly friends and mentors for support and advice.
Ask God for Help to Make Choices
Are you facing a big decision and you aren’t sure which way to turn? Maybe you are wondering what Bible verses will help you make a tough choice, like choosing the right college or who you should marry.
Maybe you are seeking God’s help for choose the right path, such as starting a business or having another baby.
This post explains if you should consider asking God for a sign.
Remember that God is not hiding His will from you. As a child of God, He wants to guide you in the ways you should go. Also be encouraged that God will work all things for His good in your life (Romans 8:28), so no matter what decision you make, you can find peace.
Free PDF Download Bible Reading Plan about Wisdom
Download your no-cost daily printable Bible reading plan about wisdom, knowledge and understanding.
How to Grow in Biblical Wisdom
The Bible is a collection of many books with many different authors, all put together into one life-giving volume.
The Bible was divinely inspired, meaning each writer wrote with his own unique style, but God inspired the work.
The challenge is that with so many different types of writing, the Bible can be a confusing book to understand.
How can you read the Bible and grow in wisdom when it’s tough to understand what you are reading? How can you understand the bible verses you are reading?
My best advice is to start. Often when a new task overwhelms you, the temptation is to quit out of frustration. But when you quit, you never learn.
If you are new to reading the Bible, this Bible reading plan is a great place to start.
Other books that are great for Bible-reading beginners are Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Psalms, and Proverbs.
Bible Verses about Wisdom and Knowledge: What Does the Bible Say about Learning?
Whether you are new to Bible study or you’ve been studying the Bible for many years (or all your life), you can get started with studying the Bible.
Use our simple Bible reading plan for a structured way to study what the Bible says about wisdom, knowledge, learning, understanding, and education. We are told in Proverbs 1:7 that fools despise wisdom.
As I’ve gotten older, one of the amazing things I’ve come to understand is that there is always more to learn, and this is especially true when it comes to Biblical knowledge. Let’s remember that with humility comes wisdom and pride comes disgrace.
A famous quote about understanding the Bible is,
The Bible is simple enough for a child to understand yet challenging enough that scholars can spend a lifetime studying it and never learn it all.
What have you learned about Biblical wisdom? In what ways do you want to learn more? Tell us about it in the comments below.
More Bible Reading Plans for You
You will love these Bible reading plans because they will help you grow more deeply in your faith in God. Plus, they are all free to download.
30 Day Endurance Bible Reading Plan – Are you at a place in life that needs endurance? Our 31 Day Bible Reading Plan for Endurance is an excellent guide to help anyone face and succeed in a time where endurance is a must.
30 Day God is Love Bible Reading Plan – Do you know how much God loves you? God fully, completely loves you, and His love for you is not based on you earning his favor. When you realize how much God loves you with an extravagant, unconditional love it changes your entire focus in life. In turn, you are able to more fully love other people. This is through the power of the Holy Spirit working in you as God’s love overflows out of your life into the lives of others. This God is Love 28 Day Bible Reading Plan will guide you in understanding more deeply God’s everlasting love for you.
30 Bible Verses Every Christian Should Know – Are you looking for Bible verses about hope that will guide you in your daily life? This Bible reading plan includes 30 Bible verses every Christian should know. These popular verses are meaningful as you grow in faith and grow closer to Jesus as your Savior.
30 Day Bible Reading Plan about Anger – When it comes to the topic of anger, the Bible has lots to tell us. Have you wondered what the Bible says about anger? Use this 30 day Bible reading plan about anger to learn more.
Bible Reading Plan Notebook – Whether you are part of a group Bible study class or doing the Bible reading plans on your own, this 30 Day Bible Reading Plan Notebook will be a helpful Bible study tool to organize your Bible study lessons, scripture writing and prayers.