If you are looking for an Instant Pot beef recipe that is absolutely loaded down with rich, hearty flavors and tons of colorful veggies, this Instant Pot Short Ribs with Vegetables recipe is for you.
You can mix up the vegetables in this short rib recipe to make this an Instant Pot Short rib keto recipe. No matter the eating plan you follow, if you are looking to know how to cook beef short ribs you have come to the right place! See the recipe for Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs below.
MyWW Blue 30 points, MyWW Green 30 points, MyWW Purple 27 points per serving
What are Short Ribs?
Short ribs come from the beef chuck portion of a beef animal. They are the five (5) short ribs from the chuck section that are too small to be used for good steaks. The meat in between these bones is from muscle that is used heavily, and therefore has less tenderness but much more flavor.
This makes short ribs perfect for the Instant Pot because this method of cooking gives fall-off-the-bone tenderness and also will incorporate all that flavor into the vegetables you cook with your ribs.
If you are looking for a more traditional ribs recipe for the Instant Pot, check out: Fast and Easy Instant Pot Ribs Recipe
How To Cook Short Ribs
There are a few ways to cook short ribs. We’ve made short ribs in the oven and even on the grill, but this Instant Pot Short Ribs recipe has been our family’s favorite! See the Short Rib recipe below!
Instant Pot Cooking
If you are new to Instant Pot Cooking, be sure to check out our helpful series here: Instant Pot for Beginners and Beyond.
The Instant Pot is available in 3 sizes:
3 Quart Instant Pot – The “mini” size
6 Quart Instant Pot – The standard size
8 Quart Instant Pot – The larger size (what was used in this recipe)
Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and WarmerInstant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and SterilizerInstant Pot DUO Plus 8 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
We also offer a free guidebook, How to Lose Weight with Your Instant Pot.
Genuine Instant Pot Tempered Glass lid, Clear – 9 in. (23 cm) – 6 QuartGenuine Instant Pot Silicone Steamer Set, Gift SetAozita Steamer Basket Rack Set with Removeable Dividers for Instant Pot Accessories – Fits Instant Pot 5,6,8 qt Pressure Cooker with Streaming Recipe and Cleaning Cloth
Instant Pot Short Ribs with Vegetables
This Instant Pot Short Ribs with vegetables recipe was made in an 8 quart Instant Pot, this can be scaled down for smaller pots. The vegetables used can be mixed and adjusted to your preference, just plan to load it up!
Instant Pot Short Ribs with Vegetables
- 5 pounds bone in short ribs
- 1 large golden beet
- 1 medium purple beet
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 small turnips
- 2 small to medium sweet onions
- ½ cup celery
- 3 cloves of garlic
- handful of fresh thyme
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Malbec/red wine of choice or one more cup of broth
- salt and pepper to preference
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Turn the Instant Pot (IP) on to sauté high, add oil, salt, pepper, smashed garlic and finely chopped onion.
- Cover with a standard lid (not the locking lid), fully cook and lightly brown the garlic and onion on "sautee" setting.
- Remove lid and scoop out the veggies, reserve to the side.
- With the IP still on "sautee", brown each side of the short ribs with some of the fresh thyme.
- While the onions cook and meat browns, wash, peel and chop the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the onions and garlic back in and layer the rest of the vegetables on top of the browned meat.
- Pour in the liquid and add any other seasonings and herbs you prefer.
- Twist on the sealing lid, select manual, high pressure for 40 minutes with a 30+ minute natural pressure release (NPR).
- When the NPR has finished, carefully remove the lid. At this point everything should be nicely cooked and you can serve as it is… or you may scoop out the vegetables and meat from the pot, transfer to another dish and cover.
- Then pour the liquid in the IP into the blender and turn on high until it is completely smooth (there would still be a few bits of veggies and the thyme sprigs).
- Turn the pot back onto sauté high and reduce the liquid by half. This takes about 45 minutes-but is SO worth it extra time! The flavor at the end of that time is incredible.
- While the liquid reduces, debone and remove any excess fat to prepare for serving.
- We enjoyed this over a cauliflower and carrot puree.
This Instant Pot Short Ribs with Vegetables is a hearty meal that is sure to satisfy!
More Posts You Will Love
20 of the Best Instant Pot Mexican Recipes –My Instant Pot is one of the best weapons against takeout. With the help of a pressure cooker, I’m able to put dinner on the table in a matter of minutes and it’s never been easier. Is Mexican food a favorite around your household? Whether it’s tacos or enchiladas, we love a good Mexican dish. Forget regular tacos and try one of these 20 of the best Mexican Instant Pot recipes.
25 Hearty Instant Pot Beef Recipes – Are you looking for beef dinner recipes for your Instant Pot pressure cooker? Check out these 24 hearty Instant Pot Beef Recipes. You’ll have a number of easy, delicious recipes you can make that your family will love.
25 No Fail Instant Pot Chicken Recipes –Do you use your Instant Pot pressure cooker to make dinner for your family? Check out these 24 No Fail Instant Pot Chicken Recipes to get dinner on the table fast and have everyone begging for more.
Pin This Instant Pot Short Rib Recipe For Later