Use these prayers for fasting before, during, and at the end of a time of fasting.
Are you currently fasting or about to begin a fast and you want to seek God’s help? Use these prayers to guide your time of spiritual or physical discipline. Be sure to download our free PDF printable of fasting prayers, too.
- What is Fasting? – Understanding Fasting
- Fasting Prayers
- Free PDF Fasting Prayers Printable
- More Prayer Posts for You
What is Fasting? – Understanding Fasting
Fasting is choosing to do without something for a period of time.
The most common type of fasting is fasting from food, which can be done for many reasons and in various ways, including:
- Intermittent Fasting (IF) which means having periods of time during the day or week when you eat and times when you do not. A common pattern is to eat normally for 6 days and fast for 24 hours on one day of the week.
- Time-restricted eating which is eating daily but only during a set window of hours, then fasting the other hours. One common pattern is 16:8 which means to fast for 16 hours and eat during 8 hours of each 24 hour period.
- Water fasting means drinking only water during the period of fasting, with no other liquids and no food. A total fast (not even liquids) is not recommended unless under the supervision of a doctor. Water fasting should not be done for more than 24 hours without medical supervision.
- Fasting for weight loss. Fasting is especially common with a ketogenic diet.
- Fasting for healing or cancer treatment. Research is showing positive health benefits to fasting that may aid in relieving symptoms and promoting healing for different diseases and even cancer.
- Fasting for medical procedures. Often, medical procedures and surgeries require that you fast beforehand. Use these prayers during that time.
- Daniel Fast – Based on a book by Rick Warren, this is not a true fast but a vegan, whole food eating plan based on biblical principles. While not a strict fast, any eating method where you give up certain foods or types of foods is challenging. Use the prayers below as you begin a new eating style that requires discipline.
Fasting from items other than food is not as common but is practiced as well, including:
- Fasting for spiritual reasons, such as during Lent, commonly practiced in the Catholic church and by other Christians. These fasts can be from food, certain types of food, or non-food items. (Here is a list of 50 possible items to fast from during Lent.)
- Fasting for a time of prayer and spiritual breakthrough. When you are in need of God’s help with a specific problem, fasting for a time of prayer can provide direction.
No matter your type of fast or the reasons behind it, each of these prayers will be helpful for you for fasting.
1. Prayer Before a Fast Begins (A Pre-Fast Prayer)
Lord, as I begin this time of fasting, fill me with your strength. Help me to use this as a time of growth, renewal, and healing. Calm my anxiety about what I might be giving up or times of discomfort that I might face.
Provide me with assurance that You will strengthen me during the difficult times and meet me for sweet moments of spiritual growth and surrender.
Help me focus not on what is being taken away, but what I’m gaining as I use this as a spiritual discipline. With you leading, Holy Spirit, I am ready.
I dedicate this fast to You, Lord, and to Your glory.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
2. Prayer During Fasting (I am Grateful for this Fast.)
Lord, I am in the middle of a fast.
There have been moments that were easier than I expected. My desires weren’t as strong as I thought they would be. Temptations that I was dreading…weren’t so bad.
Other times, I’ve been caught off guard by moments that I thought would be no problem, and instead they have proved incredibly difficult.
Right now, I still have a ways to go and end feels far off. Give me the supernatural strength to keep going by Your power, Lord. Grow me in the fruits of spirit that I need to endure this, like patience, peace, and self-control.
In Your holy name I make these requests, Amen.
3. Prayer for Self-Control During a Fast
Lord, one of the fruits of the spirit is self-control. I know I can’t develop this myself but I pray that by the power of the Holy Spirit you would develop self-control in me (Galatians 5:22-23).
I especially need self-control today as I engage in this fast. I feel like temptation is on every side. In the moment, the pull is so strong and it feels like the decision is instant.
When I am tempted, please show me the way out that you promise in the Bible. I am clinging to that promise right now (1 Corinthians 10:13).
I want to follow through on my intentions and most of all, Father, I want to bring You glory and honor. If it be Your will, grant me the strength to not eat or engage in the activity I am fasting from. I know I can do all things through You who give me strength (Philippians 4:13).
(For more support during your fast, read these Bible verses about temptation.)
4. Prayer for Breaking a Fast (Wisdom to End a Fast)
God, the time of my fast is coming to an end.
Thank you for giving me the strength to carry this out. I have grown in strength and in my relationship with You. I know I could never have done this by my own power.
As this time of restraint finishes, lead me in my next steps. Help me move slowly and gently back into a regular pattern of behavior. Help me not to go crazy with pent-up desire but instead, move with grace and intention.
I trust Your guidance, Lord.
In Jesus name I ask this, Amen.
5. Thanksgiving Prayer After Fasting (A Prayer for When the Fast is Done)
Lord, thank you for the lessons you taught me during fasting. Thank you for the ways you grew me in fruits of the spirit like patience and self-control. I know I could not have accomplished this by my own power, but only because of Your work in me.
Guide me as I move forward. If Your desire is for me is to fast again, show me that clearly. Help me not forget this time of fasting, but instead to use these lessons in my daily life. Above all, help me honor and serve You with the choices I make. I love you, Lord.
Free PDF Fasting Prayers Printable
Print and use these prayers again and again for different times of life when you fast, such as fasting from specific foods or fasting during Lent.
Are you currently fasting or have you fasted in the past? Did you use prayer as part of your practice? Tell us about it in the comments below.