by Bekah Borgstede
Apple Crumble Cake with Cider Glaze is an absolutely decadent recipe that is well worth the time and effort to make for your family and friends. This Apple Crumble Cake is one of my mom’s favorite recipes I have ever made! We like it better than apple pie, and that is saying a lot because we love apple pie.
Step 1: Chop the apples. A tart, firm apple works best for this recipe to balance out the sweetness of the topping.
Step 2: Prepare the crumb mixture, which serves as the base as well as the topping. This is what makes the recipe so amazing!
Step 3: Create the dough and scoop into baking pan.
Step 4: Top with apples, then streusel, then bake.
Step 5: While your cake is baking, prepare Apple Cider Glaze.
Step 6: Drizzle with Glaze. My family loved the glaze. It’s really good, but I have to say I almost liked the cake without the glaze better, because it made the topping a little less crunchy. Try it yourself both ways and see what you think. Either way, this recipe is amazing.
- 1 large or two small tart apples, peeled and chopped
- For the streusel crumb:
- 1½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla
- For the cake:
- 4 T butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- For apple cider glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 T apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease round pie tin and set aside.
- To make streusel topping in a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add butter and vanilla. Stir with fork just until moist. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, to make cake: Cream together 4T butter with ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Add vanilla and sour cream and beat again.
- In another bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spread half the batter in bottom of prepared pan. (This will be a very thin layer.) Spread the apple chunks evenly over the batter, then sprinkle about 1 cup of the streusel crumbs over the apples. Spread the remaining batter over the crumbs and on top spread the rest of the streusel.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake to remove from sides, then allow to cool.
- To make glaze, whisk powdered sugar and cider together. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Have you checked out our new Recipe Index? All of The Holy Mess recipes in for you in one handy location!
Family Recipes, Chef Bekah (culinary student), Paleo/Primal, and Healthy Recipes for Weight Loss.