Our family absolutely loves this crock pot French Dip recipe. French Dip was always one of my favorite meals to order in restaurants as a kid, and this one is just as good as any restaurant version.
We’ve included Weight Watchers points, crock pot and Instant Pot instructions with our recipe.
What is French Dip?
French dip is a sandwich made of sliced roast beef served on bread, and eaten with au jus dipping sauce on the side.
French Dip is not actually French in origin but was created in Los Angeles, California in the United States. Click here to learn more about the origins of French Beef.
How Do I Make French Dip in the Slow Cooker?
To cook French Dip in the Crock Pot, start with a high-quality cut of beef such as beef shoulder, chuck roast, or rump roast.
Add seasonings and beef broth and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
Tips for Making French Dip at Home
This is definitely a fix-it-and-forget-it type of meal, although it’s tough to forget it when mid-afternoon the whole house starts to smell absolutely amazing!
I’ve made a couple different versions of crock pot French Dip, and I like that this one doesn’t have any packets of artificial ingredients.
- This easy slow cooker French Dip calls for sliced onions in the crock pot. When I have time, I also slice onions and mushrooms and sauté them in a skillet with a little olive oil and butter to serve on top of the meat. Amazing flavors!
- Any cut of pot roast beef will work for this recipe, depending on how much you want to spend and how lean you want the meat. I get the biggest one I can afford and we eat the left overs for lunches.
- When meat is done, remove it from the slow cooker and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. This helps seal in juices and also helps it cool off enough to work with.
- Shred meat with 2 forks or slice. If slicing, an electric knife works best for getting thin, shaved slices of meat.
- For a keto or lower carb alternative, serve over cauliflower rice.
- For serving, you will need sandwich rolls and cheese slices. Our family is currently obsessed with these Pretzel slider buns. You can purchase pretzel slider buns at the grocery store or here is a recipe if you’d like to try making your own: Mel’s Kitchen Pretzel Rolls.
- For WW members, use a light hamburger bun for 2 points on all plans.
- We like Provolone cheese slices with this recipe, but mozzarella, cheddar, and American cheese also work.
- WW members, use Sargento Ultra Thin cheese slices for 1 point per slice.
Weight Watchers French Dip Recipe
This French Dip is a delicious WW dinner that feels like a decadent treat.
- We recommend serving with a light hamburger bun, 2 points on all plans.
- 1 slice ultra-thin Sargento Provolone cheese 1 point per slice on all plans.
- Choose a leaner cut of beef such as beef shoulder roast or beef arm or blade roast with any visible fat removed.
MyWW Points for French Dip
Calculated without rolls and cheese.
MyWW Green – 5 points (meat + 1/4 cup broth)
MyWW Blue – 5 points (meat + 1/4 cup broth)
MyWW Purple – 5 points (meat + 1/4 cup broth)
Points calculated on MyWW app October, 2020.
Instant Pot French Dip Instructions
Instead of a slow cooker, this French Dip can be cooked in a pressure cooker using the following directions.
(About 2.5 hours)
- Turn Instant Pot to “Saute” setting. Add 2 tsp olive oil and sauté roast until brown on all sides, about 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off sauté button. Carefully scrape bottom of Instant Pot to remove any browned bits.
- Add remaining ingredients to Instant pot. Lock the lid in place and be sure the vent is set to “sealing”.
- Click “Meat/Stew” function and increase time to 120 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
- After 2 hours when pot beeps, allow it to naturally release (about 25 minutes).
- Carefully remove lid and continue as recipe indicates.
What to Serve with French Dip
Here are some great sides to serve with French Dip sandwiches.
- Potato chips
- Cole slaw (check out this low-calorie, low points WW coleslaw recipe)
- Potato salad
- Steam fresh vegetables
- French fries
- Instant Pot Applesauce
Freezer Recipe French Dip
I’ve made this recipe for years as a freezer meal. Here’s what to do.
- Cook French dip according to slow cooker or Instant Pot instructions.
- Remove meat and allow to cool. Slice or shred and bag. Add about 1/4 cup broth with the meat to keep it moist.
- Allow broth to cool, then place in a container or ziplock bag.
- Freeze meat and broth together.
- On serving day, reheat beef and broth on stove top (or microwave) for about 15 minutes or until hot throughout. Serve on sandwich buns with cheese slices.
Family Favorite Slow Cooker French Dip Recipe
Create this delicious meal for your family and watch as it gets devoured.
Family Favorite Crock Pot French Dip
- 1 whole onion cut in half and sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cans low sodium beef broth
- 3 T Dijon Mustard
- 1 T Balsamic vinegar
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- dash salt
- 3 lbs Beef Shoulder Roast or Chuck roast or Chuck arm pot roast
- To serve:
- cheese slices
- Place onion in greased crock pot.
- Place roast on top of onion.
- Pour broth, mustard, sauces, and spices over roast.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the meat and shred.
- Keeping the juice, serve the meat on rolls (using onions if desired) with cheese.
- Serve au jus on the side in individual containers for dipping.
The SmartPoints® or PersonalPoints value of these recipes was calculated by this web site and is provided for informational purposes only. This is not an endorsement, sponsorship or approval of this web site or its recipes by WW International, Inc.
More Posts You Will Love
Pin this Slow Cooker Hot Sandwich Recipe for Later
Sara is a writer, speaker, and 100+ pound weight loss success story. Her website The Holy Mess reaches millions of readers. At Faithful Finish Lines Christian weight loss program, she helps women lose weight and grow in faith with an impressive 36,000+ completing free weight loss challenges under her guidance to date. Click here to read Sara's amazing 100 pound weight loss story. Feel free to send Sara a message here.