Our family absolutely loves this crock pot French Dip recipe. French Dip was always one of my favorite meals to order in restaurants as a kid, and this one is just as good as any restaurant version.
This is definitely a fix-it-and-forget-it type of meal, although it’s tough to forget it when mid-afternoon the whole house starts to smell absolutely amazing!
I’ve made a couple different versions of crock pot French Dip, and I like that this one doesn’t have any packets of artificial ingredients. This version calls for sliced onions in the crock pot. When I have time, I also slice onions and mushrooms and saute them in a skillet with a little olive oil and butter to serve on top of the meat. Amazing flavors!
Any cut of pot roast beef will work for this recipe, depending on how much you want to spend and how lean you want the meat. I get the biggest one I can afford and we eat the left overs for lunches.
For serving, you will need sandwich rolls and provolone (mozzarella and cheddar also work) cheese slices. Our family is currently obsessed with these Pretzel slider buns from Costco. Here is a similar brand: Soft Pretzel Rolls or here is a recipe if you’d like to try making your own: Mel’s Kitchen Pretzel Rolls
Family Favorite Crock Pot French Dip
- 1 whole onion cut in half and sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cans low sodium beef broth
- 3 T Dijon Mustard
- 1 T Balsamic vinegar
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- dash salt
- 3-8 lbs Beef Shoulder Roast other cuts also work
- To serve:
- rolls cheese slices
- Place onion in greased crock pot.
- Place roast on top of onion.
- Pour broth, mustard, sauces, and spices over roast.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the meat and shred.
- Keeping the juice, serve the meat on rolls (using onions if desired) with cheese.
- Serve au jus on the side in individual containers for dipping.
Instapot French Dip Instructions
(About 2.5 hours)
- Turn Instapot to “Saute” setting. Add 1 T oil and saute roast until brown on all sides, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to Instapot. Lock the lid in place and be sure the vent is set to “sealing”.
- Hit “Meat/Stew” function and increase time to 120 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
- After 2 hours when pot beeps, allow it to Naturally Release (about 25 minutes).
- Carefully remove lid and continue as recipe indicates.
More Posts You Will Love