Try this recipe for fast and filling potato soup when you are short on time but want to make your family a meal that is warm and comforting. This easy recipe is low in calories and Weight Watchers points, too.
This delicious soup only has 3 ingredients. Can you believe it? So easy, and inexpensive, and you can keep the ingredients stocked for whenever you need a quick meal.
WW Points for Fast & Filling Potato Soup
Per serving, this potato soup comes in at only 99 calories and 4 W W Points.
Click here to track the Fast & Filling Potato Soup recipe on the WW App.
This post is current – December 2023 for Weight Watchers Points.
What to Serve with Potato Soup
Here are a few healthy side dishes to make along with your soup:
- Breadsticks made with 2-ingredient dough.
- A small side salad with light dressing or one of our oil-free dressings
- Fruit salad
Answers To Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to questions we receive most often.
Are Potatoes Really Healthy?
All our lives we have been told carbs, especially potatoes are not the best for weight loss.
News flash. . . potatoes are a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. As a bonus, potatoes are low in calories, contain no fat or cholesterol, and are sodium-free. Plus they are quite high in vitamin C and potassium.
For six months I ate a 100% plant-based, vegan, low fat diet, and I ate potatoes regularly. I was actually at the lowest weight of my adult life while following this way of eating. Don’t be afraid to enjoy potatoes regularly because they are low in calorie density.
What Can I Add To This Soup?
This soup is tasty when it’s plain, although a bit mild. I like to jazz it up with spices and toppings. Since it’s so low in calories, you’ll have room in your calorie or points budget for some of these additions.
Try adding Mrs. Dash, hot sauce, or Old Bay to make the soup more flavorful.
You could top this soup with one of the following additions (for additional calories and/or points).
- Top with cooked, crumbled lean bacon
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- A Laughing Cow cheese wedge
- Try adding vegetables (chopped scallions or chives, spinach, mushrooms, chopped zucchini, chopped broccoli) to make it healthier.
- Sprinkle the top with a small amount of shredded cheese.
Fast and Easy Potato Soup Recipe (Step-by-Step with Photos)
Step 1 – Gather ingredients.
Yes, you can make this soup with just 3 simple ingredients.
Step 2 – Cook on Stovetop
On the stovetop in a large pot, combine 3 of the 4 cans of chicken broth with potatoes and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Step 3 – Whisk in Gravy
In a medium bowl, whisk the gravy packet with the final can of chicken broth until smooth.
Add the soup and gravy mixture into the hot soup and cook until thickened.
Divide into 8 servings and enjoy.
The Holy Mess Fast & Filling Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 cans chicken or vegetable broth 15 oz each
- 28 ounces frozen hash browns O'Brian or shredded, no added oil
- 1 packet Country Gravy mix such as Pioneer brand, 2.75 oz
- On the stove top in a large pot, combine 3 cans of chicken broth with potatoes and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the gravy packet with the final can of chicken broth until smooth.
- Add soup and gravy mixture into hot soup and cook until thickened.
- Serve plain or top with favorite toppings (for additional calories and points), such as cooked, crumbled lean bacon, non-fat Greek yogurt, or shredded light cheese.
- Try adding your favorite vegetables (spinach, mushrooms, chopped zucchini, chopped broccoli) to make it healthier.
The WW points value of these recipes was calculated by this website and is provided for informational purposes only. This is not an endorsement, sponsorship, or approval of this website or its recipes by WW International, Inc.
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you LOVE comfort food soups like this recipe, you will find it in The Holy Mess Soups & Stews Cookbook!
It is a 30-page digital cookbook with recipes that are filling yet low in calories with:
- Delicious, low calorie & low point recipes that taste GREAT
- Fast & easy to prepare
- Filling & healthy with fresh, whole foods
- Nutritional information and WW points link for every recipe
- Stovetop, IP, and slow cooker instructions included
- Enjoy now, meal prep or freeze for later
- Bonus! Low-calorie grocery store & restaurant options
More Recipes You’ll Love
10 Best Weight Watchers Comfort Food Recipes – Try these instead of take-out.
WW Zero Point Vegetable Soup Recipe – Perfect as a snack to keep you satisfied.
Best You’ll Ever Eat Potato Casserole Recipe – Easy – uses instant mashed potatoes!
WW Zero Point Chili Recipe – Just 5 easy steps.
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup Recipe – Kid approved and a husband favorite.
Weight loss success with Weight Watchers is possible and this fast & easy potato soup is a perfect way to add some comfort foods to your WW menu.
Today, I am a WW Lifetime member and maintaining at my goal weight.
What’s your favorite healthy comfort food recipe? Share in the comments.