A letter to my daughter on her 18th birthday.
To My Daughter on Her 18th Birthday
Born June 5, 1996
Some gifts only God can give.
What You Have Taught Me, Bekah:
- You taught me unconditional love. As parents, we discover unconditional love when we have a baby. This love is a fiery protective, all-encompassing love I developed for you soon after you were born. What really has astounded me is your unconditional love for me. I have messed up time and again as your Mom — sometimes in the BIG TIME ways that sink my heart and leave me thinking, “Oh crap, I’ve really blown this whole parenting deal.” Yet you still love me and forgive me without question. You have taught me about God’s east-to-west forgiveness for me. Thank you.
- You taught me perseverance. I have watched you struggle through challenges most adults would buckle under the weight of carrying. Life as the oldest kid in our house is not easy. We have serious issues that go on here, and as the oldest you become first mate to Dad’s and my piloting many times! You manage with grace. You’ve had personal medical and emotional issues you haven’t denied but faced head on. I see your hard work and am so proud of your determination.
- You taught me joy. You have a zany laugh and the most beautiful smile! From you I’ve learned a quiet person can be an extrovert. I would want you in my life even if you weren’t my daughter, because you are one gorgeous woman. You shine light.
My Advice for You Today, My Daughter:
- Absolutely, all-in, 100% experience life. Be decisive. Being wrong sometimes is better than the regret of doing nothing. Get out there. Pursue the dreams and God-given talents you have been given! Do it. Try it. Be it. Live it. Imagine you cannot fail.
- Know who and whose you are. You are a Daughter of the King and bought with a price. Jesus saved you, and you are of extreme value to Him. Make choices with this in mind. Surround yourself with people who treat you as you deserve. Expect and accept nothing less.
- Remember, the Borgstede team has your back. No matter what happens in the world, your Dad and I, and your brothers and sister are here with love for you. Your grandparents, your church family, friends, and so many people love you, too. You are surrounded by love.
- Have fun storming the castle!
With love and gratitude,
More Posts You Will Love