Have you heard of the WW egg roll in a bowl craze? This inside-out egg roll recipe is so good that many people jokingly refer to it as crack slaw.
If you like egg rolls but not the huge amount of grease and calories, you’ll love this bowl that tastes just like your favorite egg roll filling and is incredibly low in points and calories.
Each serving of this deconstructed egg roll bowl is MyWW Green – 1 point, MyWW Blue – 0 points, MyWW Purple – 0 points. Yes, this delicious recipe is ZERO points on Blue and Purple and just 1 point on Green.
We show you how to make egg roll chips for dipping and since this is such a low point dinner, you’ll have plenty of room in your daily points allowance for them.
What’s an Egg Roll Bowl?
An egg roll in a bowl is a dinner recipe that tastes like the inside of your favorite egg roll.
We make our unwrapped egg roll bowl with ground chicken or turkey breast and coleslaw mix so it’s super-low in Weight Watchers points yet still filling and absolutely delicious.
What Goes Into an Egg Roll Bowl?
The sky’s the limit for what you can add to your egg roll bowl. If it’s in your favorite egg roll, it can be included. Here’s some ideas.
- Ground pork – note this will be higher in points and calories.
- Ground turkey sausage – this is more reasonable in points.
- Bean sprouts – 0 points
- Onions, white, green, or scallions – 0 points
- Sesame oil – for a couple additional points, cook the ground meat in 1-2 tsp sesame oil for a delicious flavor
- Chinese 5 spice – 0 points
- Finely chopping broccoli – 0 points
- Chopped nuts – additional points
- Sriracha sauce – 0 points
- Sesame seeds – additional points
How Do I Make an Egg Roll Bowl?
An egg roll bowl can be made in an Instant Pot or on the stove top.
To make Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl:
- Brown meat in the bottom of the pot on saute mode until meat is no longer pink.
- Top with seasoning and vegetables of choice. Pour a small amount of chicken broth over.
- Set pressure cooker to “manual” and 0 minutes.
- Quick release, stir, and serve.
To Make Stove Top Egg Roll Bowl:
- Brown meat in a skillet on stove over medium heat, stirring to break up meat. Cook until no longer pink.
- Top with seasonings and vegetables of choice. Pour over a small amount of chicken broth.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir and serve.
How Do I Make Egg Roll Wrapper Chips?
While egg roll wrapper chips are optional, these add an amazing crunch and make this dinner especially fun to eat. My kids go crazy for these!
We use Freida’s egg roll wrappers which are 2 points per item.
- Cut each egg roll wrapper into 8 pieces. A pizza cutter works great for this.
- Lay egg roll wrapper chips on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Lightly spray tops of wrappers and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 4 minutes.
- Turn chips over and bake 1 minute more.
Important: Watch chips carefully as they burn quickly.
How Many WW Points is an Egg Roll Bowl?
Each serving, 1/6 of recipe, is approximately 1 1/2 cups.
MyWW Green – 1 point
MyWW Blue – 0 points
MyWW Purple – 0 points
Egg roll chips (optional): Cut each egg roll wrapper into 8 strips. 8 chips is 2 point on all plans.
WW Egg Roll Bowl Variations
Weight Watchers – Use the recipe below and enjoy. This is a zero point egg roll bowl for Blue and Purple plans and just 1 point for Green. Egg roll wrapper chips are 2 additional points. Enjoy a filling dinner for just a few points.
Low carb – Use recipe as written but eliminate chips. Consider using a low-carb tortilla to make chips instead.
Gluten-free – Use a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce, such as tamari, Bragg’s liquid aminos, or coconut aminos.
Keto – Follow recipe as written but eliminate chips.
Whole30 – Follow recipe as written but eliminate chips and use a compliant soy sauce alternative.
WW Zero Point Egg Roll with Ground Turkey
Savor your favorite egg roll flavors for a fraction of the points with our delish (and easy to make) egg roll bowl.
Gather ingredients. This recipe can be made in the Instant Pot or on the stove top. Dice mushrooms and water chestnuts into smaller pieces if preferred. (I did since it makes it easier to eat and more like an egg roll filling.)
For WW members, it’s important to purchase ground turkey or chicken breast which is the most lean and lowest in points.
Here are a few helpful tips about browning ground chicken or turkey breast:
- First spray the pan or Instant Pot with cooking spray.
- Add a bit of chicken or beef broth to prevent sticking.
- Add a splash of Worcestershire or soy sauce to give it a darker color and more flavor.
Brown ground turkey or chicken until no longer pink. Add a bit of chicken broth to keep it moist.
Once chicken is browned, top with soy sauce, seasonings, water chestnuts and mushrooms. Pour in remaining chicken broth, then top with coleslaw mix.
You’ll notice that our recipe calls of 2 bags of coleslaw mix instead of the usual 1 bag that most recipes use. One of my 100+ pound weight loss secrets is doubling the vegetables in almost every recipe I use.
The Instant Pot will be full so you might need to pack it down a bit but it will cook down quite a lot so this isn’t a problem.
Set your Instant Pot at zero minutes. (Yes, this really is a thing.) This cooks your egg roll filling at the perfect amount of time.
While egg roll filling is cooking, make egg roll chips. Cut each egg roll wrapper into 8 pieces. A pizza cutter works great for this. We used Freida’s egg roll wrappers which are 2 points per item, making 8 chips = 2 points on all plans.
Lay egg roll wrapper chips on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly spray tops of wrappers and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400 degrees for 4 minutes. Turn chips over and bake 1 minute more.
Important: Watch chips carefully as they will burn easily.
These chips are addictive and very low in points so you can enjoy them with your meal. My family goes nuts for these and I always have to portion mine out to be sure I get some before they are gobbled up.
When your Instant Pot beeps, carefully release the pressure (manual release) and stir.
Now it’s time to eat! Divide the mixture into bowls and serve with chips for dipping if desired.
Dig in and enjoy!
Weight Watchers Egg Roll Bowl
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 32 oz cole slaw mix
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz mushrooms optional
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped optional
- 1 tsp garlic minced or 1 tsp powder
- 1 tsp ginger minced or 1 tsp powder
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- Instant Pot: Plug in Instant Pot and set to sautee.
- Add 2-3 T of chicken broth and ground chicken breast to inner pot. Sautee until chicken is no longer pink. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a plastic spatula or spoon to be sure nothing is stuck. (Stuck food can prevent the pot from coming to pressure.)
- Sprinkle chicken with seasonings and pour on soy sauce and remaining chicken both. Top with water chestnuts, mushrooms, and coleslaw mix. Gently press down to be sure ingredients are not over the fill line.
- Close and lock Instant Pot lid and set to "manual" for 0 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps that it's done, carefully release pressure.
- Remove lid and stir. Serve in bowls with egg roll wrapper chips on the side if desired.
- Stove top: Brown ground chicken in 3 T of chicken broth, breaking apart with a spatula or spoon as it cooks.
- When chicken is no longer pink, add remaining ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, until vegetables are tender.
The SmartPoints® or PersonalPoints value of these recipes was calculated by this web site and is provided for informational purposes only. This is not an endorsement, sponsorship or approval of this web site or its recipes by WW International, Inc.
Now you know the steps to make a delicious WW egg roll bowl that is delicious, filling, and low in Weight Watchers points for all plans. Whether you make it in the Instant Pot or on the stove, your family is sure to love this easy dinner.
What’s your favorite Weight Watchers chicken dinner recipe? Share in the comments below.
More WW Posts for You
100+ Weight Watchers Aldi Shopping List for 2021 – Here are the top items to buy at Aldi for WW members. Includes a free printable list.
Weight Watchers Apple Crisp Recipe – Delicious apple crisp with low points for a generous serving.
Weight Watchers Pumpkin Muffins – These warm, tender muffins take just a couple ingredients and freeze beautifully. Enjoy for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
43 Tips from Weight Watchers Members for Weight Loss Success – Learn from the pros! Here are tips from members who have successfully lost weight on WW.
Should You Weigh Yourself Every Day During Weight Loss? – How often should you weigh yourself during your weight loss journey? Click here to find out.
12 Zero Point Weight Watchers Recipes – All zero points? Yes! You’ll want to keep track of these delicious recipes.
65+ Fast & Easy Weight Loss Meals – This huge printable list is perfect to keep handy for weekly meal planning.
Pin this Weight Watchers Keto Recipe for Later