Are you looking for a delicious dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth while helping you lose weight? This Weight Watchers Lemon Angel Food Cake recipe is the answer. This cake is light, airy, and packed full of delicious flavors.
Angel Food Cake on Weight Watchers
Angel food cake is a popular dessert for members of Weight Watchers because this light, fluffy treat is relatively low in calories while giving you a sweet dessert.
Making Angel Food Cake at Home
While you can make angel food cake at home or with a pre-packaged mix, I encourage you to give this homemade version a try. The end result is well worth the extra effort.
Here are a few important considerations while to know when making homemade angel food cake.
- The right pan matters. If you don’t have an angel food cake pan, a bundt pan also works. Don’t use a 9×13 pan since you are looking for a fluffy cake that rises.
- Do not spray the sides of your pan. The cake needs to cling to the sides to get the correct rise.
- Take care that there is no egg yoke in your whites so that the cake fluffs up properly.
- Beat your eggs until stiff peaks form. A Kitchen Aid mixer is ideal for this, but a hand-held mixer also works. Do not try to mix by hand.
- Turn cake upside down after baking so that it warm cake doesn’t fall and allow it to cool for at least one hour or until no longer hot to the touch. My mom used to cool angel food cakes on top of a soy sauce bottle. It’s just the right size for hanging a cake!
Nordic Ware Pro Cast Original Bundt Pan, 12 CupKitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire RedGood Cook 3-Piece Mixing Spoons SetCakewalk 6466 Melamine Cake Stands, One Size, Yellow
WW Lemon Angel Food Cake Recipe
You’ll love this delicious lemon angel food cake. It’s worth the effort!
Combine egg whites, salt and extract/juice in a bowl and beat till you get stiff peaks.
Add sugar and flour.
Pour batter into cake pans and bake until golden brown.
We decorated our cake with lemon slices and fresh raspberries. Strawberries, Cool Whip Light, or Redi-Whip would also make a delicious and pretty garnish.
How many Weight Watchers points is this yummy Lemon Angel Food cake?
7 points per slice with sugar
2 points per slice when cake is made with 1/2 sugar, 1/2 Splenda, Truvia, or other no-calorie sweetener
Cake with glaze (all sugar) – 8 points with 1 slice cake with 1/12 of glaze
Cake with glaze (half sugar, half Splenda) – 5 points
Cake with glaze (all Spenda) – 1 point
Redi whip – 2 points
Cool whip light or FF – 2 points
Fresh or frozen, thawed raspberries or strawberries – 0 points
WW Lemon Angel Food Cake
- 12 egg whites
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Juice from half of a lemon
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Use bundt or angel food cake pan. DO NOT spray the pan.
- Combine the egg whites, salt, and juice/extract into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high until the mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. Take care that there is no yoke mixed into the egg white.
- While the mixer is on, combine ¾ cup sugar, and flour into a small bowl and set aside. Add ¾ cup sugar to a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the egg reach stiff peaks, add in the ¾ cup sugar and stir until well combined. Slowly add in the sugar/flour mixture.
- Pour batter into the bundt or angel food cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool upside down completely. After the cake is cooled, use a spatula or butter knife and run across the edges to loosen the cake from the pan.
- Place on a cake plate or stand.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice and mix until combined and there are no lumps of sugar remaining. Pour over the top of the cake and serve!
Is it healthy to eat angel food cake?
What is the difference between a sponge cake and angel food cake?
Why is it called angel food cake?
More Weight Watchers Recipes
Pin for later!
Free Weight Watchers Hacks!
Lose weight faster!
*Low point snacks & recipes to keep you full and satisfied.
*The best foods to eat when you are following the WW program.
*Tips & insider tricks to make following the Weight Watchers program easier and more enjoyable.