Use these Bible verses about Satan reminding you of your past anytime you’re feeling shame from choices you’ve made. Be sure reading to the end of the post for a helpful free PDF printable of these verses that you can take with you.
- Does Satan Shame You With Reminders of Past Choices?
- When Regret Comes
- Take Your Thoughts Captive to Obey Christ
- Focus on the Truth from God's Word
- Scripture Verses to Use When You Feel Regret
- 1. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 – When you say, "If only," instead say:
- 2. 1 Peter 5:8-9 – When you say, "I should have…" instead say:
- 3. Isaiah 54:17 – When people are judgmental, speak falsely against you, or you guilt trip yourself, instead say:
- 4. Ephesians 6:11-17 – For when you fear making the same mistakes over and over, instead say:
- 5. Romans 8:37 – When you feel stuck, instead say:
- 6. 1 Corinthians 15:57 – When you feel shame, instead say:
- 7. Zechariah 4:6 – When your past is haunting you, instead say:
- 8. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 – When you cannot let go of a past hurt or memory, instead say:
- 9. John 10:10 – When life seems to have no purpose, instead say:
- Free PDF Printable – Verses for When Satan Tempts You to Regret the Past
Does Satan Shame You With Reminders of Past Choices?
As I drove home from the meeting, tears streamed down my face.
For months now, my son with behavior needs had been doing so well. We had seen amazing improvements both at school and at home.
Suddenly and dramatically in one afternoon, my world shifted when he made a poor decision and our family again came crashing into an bitterly painful place. We had been here before with him, and here we were again — under even more dire circumstances.
My thoughts raced as I drove and my mind clouded with doubts.
- Why didn’t I see this coming?
- How could I have missed the warning signs?
- If only I would have done ______, maybe I could have prevented this.
- I can’t believe we are here AGAIN.
When Regret Comes
Do you get caught up in regret over past decisions? Are you haunted by the “what ifs” and “if onlys” of your past?
Friends, this is right where the enemy, Satan wants you.
Every time you say, “If only I would have done it differently,” “I should have,” or beat yourself up with shame and doubts, you are living in the past.
When that happens you are not living in God’s will for you.
Instead, focus on the truth of God’s Word with these powerful Bible verses to use when Satan reminds you of your past.
Take Your Thoughts Captive to Obey Christ
You might find yourself tempted to wallow if doubts, fears, anger, or self-pity, but the Bible tells us that instead, we are called to take our thoughts captive to obey Christ.
Turn around your unhealthy thought patterns by focusing on God’s truth.
Focus on the Truth from God’s Word
Changing your thoughts takes practice and continued diligence, so keep at it. The more you surround yourself with God’s Word, the easier it becomes. Memorizing Bible verses, reading portions of the Bible, and singing worship songs allows these Bible passages to sink deep into your understanding.
I find my thoughts tend to get stuck in certain channels and I often don’t realize I’m doing this. Use the Bible verses listed below to help you get unstuck. This isn’t magical, yet we know the Word of God is powerful because it is living and active.
First, try to catch yourself after you think one of these unhealthy thought patterns. Write down the key verse for this unhealthy thought and carry it on a card in your pocket. Take it out and read it each time you have this thought.
Next, work to catch yourself mid-thought. Soon you’ll have the verse memorized and be able to recite it before the negative thought even begins. This is real progress.
Christian friends who catch you in your unhealthy ways of thinking and loving guide you toward the truth of the Bible are true friends. At times these gentle reminders may be hard to hear, but listen to their words and take note. Friends who allow you to stay stuck in negative patterns are not your real friends.
Remember that Satan has ultimately been defeated by Jesus. If you feel you are being spiritually attacked, say these words, “In the name of Jesus, get behind me, Satan! You have no power here.” Satan must flee when asked to leave in Jesus name.
When Satan reminds you of your past, remind him of his future. Satan has some power here on earth now, but Christ has the ultimate victory over sin, death, and Satan, and we have that victory also because Jesus has claimed us as His own.
Scripture Verses to Use When You Feel Regret
Use these powerful truths from Scripture when Satan attacks you.
1. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 – When you say, “If only,” instead say:
For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5
2. 1 Peter 5:8-9 – When you say, “I should have…” instead say:
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
1 Peter 5:8-9
3. Isaiah 54:17 – When people are judgmental, speak falsely against you, or you guilt trip yourself, instead say:
No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed,
and you shall refute every tongue that rises against you in judgment.
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord
and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.
4. Ephesians 6:11-17 – For when you fear making the same mistakes over and over, instead say:
Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
5. Romans 8:37 – When you feel stuck, instead say:
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.Romans 8:37
6. 1 Corinthians 15:57 – When you feel shame, instead say:
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
I Corinthians 15:57
7. Zechariah 4:6 – When your past is haunting you, instead say:
Then he said to me, “…Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.
8. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 – When you cannot let go of a past hurt or memory, instead say:
But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.
2 Thessalonians 3:3
9. John 10:10 – When life seems to have no purpose, instead say:
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
Free PDF Printable – Verses for When Satan Tempts You to Regret the Past
As my gift to you, receive a free printable of these 7 powerful Bible verses.
This printable is included in the Grow You Faith Free Printable Pack. Where should we send yours? Enter your email below:
This free printable is included in the Grow Your Faith free printable pack:
More Posts You Will Love
Grow Your Faith with Helpful Printables
*How to Do a House Blessing
*How to Use an Advent Wreath
*Bible Verse Cards