Use these encouraging Bible verses for teacher appreciation if you are a teacher, or to show support to the teachers in your life. A teacher’s job is not an easy one. The challenges are big (and seem to get bigger every year!) and the worldly rewards are small.
Sharing a few words of kindness goes a long way to make the teachers in your life feel appreciated. Use these verses to show a teacher, whether for yourself or your children, just how much their dedication has impacted you.
- Teachers' Work is So Important
- How to Show Teachers Appreciation and Support
- How to Use Bible Verses Honoring Teachers and Instructors
- Scripture for Teachers
- 1. Proverbs 22:6 NIV – Train up a child
- 2. Exodus 18:20 NIV – Show them the way they are to live
- 3. Luke 6:40 NIV – Everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher
- 4. Titus 2:7-8 NIV – Be a model of good works
- 5. Proverbs 9:9 NIV – Teach the righteous
- 6. Matthew 28:20 NIV – And surely I am with you, to the very end of the age
- 7. Deuteronomy 32:2 NIV – Teaching falls like rain
- 8. Proverbs 11:25 NIV – A generous person will prosper
- 9. Deuteronomy 4:9 NIV – Teach them to your children
- 10. 1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV – Your labor in the Lord is not in vain
- 11. Psalms 32:8 NIV – I will counsel you with my loving eye
- 12. Philippians 4:13 NIV – I can do all things through him who gives me strength
- 13. Galatians 6:6 NIV – Share all good things
- 14. Proverbs 4:13 NIV – Hold on to Instruction
- 15. Colossians 3:16 NIV – The message of Christ dwells among you
- 16. James 1:5 NIV – If you lack wisdom, ask God
- 17. Romans 15:4 NIV – We might have hope
- 18. Romans 12:6-7 NIV – If your gift is teaching, then teach
- 19. Ephesians 4:11-13 NIV – Equip his people for works of service
- 20. Deuteronomy 11:18-19 NIV – Teach these words to your children
- 21. Proverbs 1:2-4 NIV – Doing what is right and just and fair
- 22. Matthew 10:24 NIV – The student is not above the teacher
- 23. Romans 2:18-20 NIV – The embodiment of knowledge and truth
- 24. Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV – He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit
- 25. 1 Timothy 4:11-12 NIV – Command and Teach
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Teacher Apprecation
Teachers’ Work is So Important
I am a trained teacher and taught middle school for a couple years before I had kids. As soon as my first baby was born, I had the joy of becoming a full-time mom. These days, my career has moved in other directions. Still, I have such a heart for teachers.
A teacher’s job is a tough one. Between more challenging behaviors from kids with special needs, academic testing, plus higher parent and administrator expectations, their work is more challenging than ever. (Yet without the paycheck it deserves.)
How to Show Teachers Appreciation and Support
Your words of appreciation will go so far in making a teacher’s day.
Here are some simple ways to show teachers that you appreciate them:
- Have your child create a drawing or small art project
- Give a gift card
- Write a note or card of thanks. Include specific ways he or she has impacted you or your child’s life.
- Give a small gift of thanks like a bouquet of flowers, baked goods, or a sweet treat. (Although keep in mind that many people are trying to be healthier so consider something like a fruit basket instead of desserts.)
- Click here for a list of ways honor teachers during Teacher Appreciation Week at schools.
How to Use Bible Verses Honoring Teachers and Instructors
Below are Bible verses you can use for teacher appreciation. Consider one of these ideas:
- Include one of the verses when you write a note or card
- Type the verse onto a certificate of appreciation and print it. (Have your child sign it!)
- Write one of the verses on a photo mat and frame it along with a picture of your child with their teacher.
- Consider school teachers but don’t forget Sunday School teachers, private school teachers, sports coaches and teachers who give your child lessons like piano.
- Home-schooling parents are teachers too, who deserve love and recognition.
Scripture for Teachers
Use these verses to honor teachers in your life.
1. Proverbs 22:6 NIV – Train up a child
“Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”Proverbs 22:6
The work of teachers is highly important for the rest of our lives, because the teachings we learn as a child last forever. I’m sure many of us can remember the lessons from some of the first teachers we ever had. Think back to those lessons and if possible, reach out to a former teacher and tell them thank you today.
As parents, these verse gives us great comfort and challenge. Click here for more scriptures for parents.
2. Exodus 18:20 NIV – Show them the way they are to live
“Teach them his decrees and instructions, and show them the way they are to live and how they are to behave.”Exodus 18:20
Teachers do more than just give us information. They also teach us how to behave and to live our lives. This verse from Exodus is an important reminder of the power and influence of Godly teachers.
3. Luke 6:40 NIV – Everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher
“The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher.”Luke 6:40
Remember what it was like when you were a kid and a teacher brought up a brand new concept that you didn’t understand. It felt overwhelming at first but you gradually understood. Now you use those lessons regularly without even thinking about it.
Thank you God for impactful teachers who have molded and shaped our lives.
4. Titus 2:7-8 NIV – Be a model of good works
“In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.”Titus 2:7-8
Jesus was the ultimate example of a teacher. He is our model of good works and how to behave. Teachers are some of the most important role models we have, and they have a high calling to show wisdom as they teach.
Click here for more Bible verses about wise decisions.
5. Proverbs 9:9 NIV – Teach the righteous
“Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.’Proverbs 9:9
This Proverb about teaching and learning reminds us that there is always more to learn. Are you open to learning new things, even as an adult? We should be humble enough to never stop being students.
6. Matthew 28:20 NIV – And surely I am with you, to the very end of the age
“and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”Matthew 28:20
The end of Matthew chapter 28 is often used as a reminder that God is always with us, but we often miss how it is also a call to action. Every believer is to be a teacher because we are instructed to teach His word. God is always with teachers during their work.
7. Deuteronomy 32:2 NIV – Teaching falls like rain
“Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.”Deuteronomy 32:2
This verse from Deuteronomy is a beautiful word picture of how God’s Word can impact us. We allow God’s Words to fall on our lives like the rain, giving us life, strength, and hope.
8. Proverbs 11:25 NIV – A generous person will prosper
“A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.”Proverbs 11:25
Teachers are incredibly generous people. They give so much of their time and energy for their students. They are dedicated to their pupils and to the task of teaching. This Proverb is an encouragement that their work will be rewarded.
When teachers are tired, God will give teachers the refreshment they need as they turn to Him.
9. Deuteronomy 4:9 NIV – Teach them to your children
“Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.”Deuteronomy 4:9
Every Christian has an important calling to teach God’s Word to the next generation. This verse is especially important for Sunday School teachers, Christian teachers and instructors, and homeschooling parents.
Whether you teach in a classroom or not, all parents have the job of teaching their children about God’s Words in the Bible.
10. 1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV – Your labor in the Lord is not in vain
“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”1 Corinthians 15:58
Often being a teacher is thankless work, but this verse from 1 Corinthians reminds us that all work done for Him is never in vain. God’s Word never returns void, but will accomplish it’s task (Isaiah 55:11).
11. Psalms 32:8 NIV – I will counsel you with my loving eye
“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”Psalms 32:8
God is the ultimate teacher and provides us with wisdom and knowledge. While earthly teachers offer us helpful instruction, God is where we turn for final answers.
12. Philippians 4:13 NIV – I can do all things through him who gives me strength
“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”Philippians 4:13
Whew, teachers have a tough job. Between unruly students, parent complaints, following government guidelines, testing, and more, teachers have a job that never seems to end.
Remind the teachers in your life that they can only do these tasks with God’s power with this encouragement from Philippians.
13. Galatians 6:6 NIV – Share all good things
“Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.”Galatians 6:6
Teachers give us so much, and each student also gives back to his teacher. Most teachers would agree that they have learned something from each student they have taught.
14. Proverbs 4:13 NIV – Hold on to Instruction
“Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.”Proverbs 4:13
This Bible passage is a great reminder that we are to hold on to what is good. The instruction you learn from a wise teacher will influence you throughout your life. Pay attention to it.
15. Colossians 3:16 NIV – The message of Christ dwells among you
“Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”Colossians 3:16
Classroom teachers have a high calling, but the influence of other teachers is important too, like music teachers, choir directors, sports coaches, and more. Be sure to show them appreciation as well.
16. James 1:5 NIV – If you lack wisdom, ask God
“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”James 1:5
Here God is telling us to turn to Him whenever we need wisdom and guidance, and he will give it to us. What a powerful promise from God. He will not withhold wisdom when we ask for it.
17. Romans 15:4 NIV – We might have hope
“For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.”Romans 15:4
The Bible is our ultimate source of wisdom and encouragement because it’s God’s Word. The examples it contains are not just stories, but real situations that happened to real people. These are recorded for us to help us understand God and his relationship with us.
When you are feeling depressed or overwhelmed, turn to the encouragement in the Bible. Use these Bible verses for stress to get started.
18. Romans 12:6-7 NIV – If your gift is teaching, then teach
“We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach.”Romans 12:6-7
Teaching is so much more than a job and a paycheck. Teachers are called by God to use their gifts to serve, whether in a classroom as a profession, teaching as a volunteer at Sunday School, or teaching adults.
19. Ephesians 4:11-13 NIV – Equip his people for works of service
“So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.”Ephesians 4:11-13
To every Christian, God has given spiritual gifts. These are not something we create, these are gifts of the Holy Spirit. For people who have the spiritual gift of teaching, God wants you to use that gift to serve His church.
20. Deuteronomy 11:18-19 NIV – Teach these words to your children
“Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”Deuteronomy 11:18-19
Parents, you are the most important teacher your children will ever have. Build yourself up in God’s Word so that you are able to guide your children in Christian faith. Use these Bible verses for parents for daily reflection.
21. Proverbs 1:2-4 NIV – Doing what is right and just and fair
“The proverbs…for gaining wisdom and instruction; for understanding words of insight; for receiving instruction in prudent behavior, doing what is right and just and fair; for giving prudence to those who are simple, knowledge and discretion to the young.”Proverbs 1:1-4
The Proverbs of the Bible are God’s inspired Word and are helpful for giving us instruction in how we should make decisions and live our lives. They are simple yet powerful directions for the way a Godly person should live a life that brings honor to God.
22. Matthew 10:24 NIV – The student is not above the teacher
“The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master.”Matthew 10:24
As Jesus was sending his disciples into the world to teach, this verse from Matthew 10 was part of his instruction to them. There might be false teachers, but have no fear of them. We have the ultimate victory in Christ.
23. Romans 2:18-20 NIV – The embodiment of knowledge and truth
“If you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth.”Romans 2:18-20
Every Christian has the knowledge of God in the Bible. You don’t have to wonder what God’s will is for your life. God has revealed it to you in His Word, and you have the power to be a light for people in dark places because the Holy Spirit is at work in you.
24. Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV – He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit
“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”Ephesians 3:16-19
The Spirit comes and fills all of us with an understanding of how amazing Christ’s love for us truly is. We are also called to work as the whole body of Christ to learn and teach of his love with one another. In this way, we are all teachers of God’s Word.
25. 1 Timothy 4:11-12 NIV – Command and Teach
“Command and teach these things. Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.”1 Timothy 4:11-12
Here we see how God calls teachers to live as role models for all of us. Lets take a moment to remember and appreciate the teachers in our lives who set examples for us in how they talked, in how they lived, in how they loved, and in how they followed their faith.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Teacher Apprecation
Teacher Appreciation Week is the first full week of May. Teacher Appreciation Week in 2023 is May 1-5. Teacher Appreciation Day is May 2, 2023.
School Parent Teacher Associations (PTA) often host a breakfast and provide small gifts to teachers during Teacher Appreciation Week. Parents can also give a gift, send a card, or have their child create a drawing to give to teachers.
Sunday School Teacher Appreciation Day is celebrated the third Sunday in October every year. This is around the same time as Pastor Appreciation Sunday.
How will you use these verses to show appreciation to teachers in your life? Share in the comments below.
More Scripture Posts You Will Love