Turn to these 20 Bible Verses for weight loss when the weight loss journey is challenging. Are there times when you feel like giving up or need encouragement? God cares about your health and weight. Use these Scripture passages on losing weight to help you rely on God’s guidance as you eat in a healthy way and take care of the body God has given you.
For 10 years now, I’ve been maintaining a 100-pound weight loss. I know about the struggles that come in the midst of losing weight and maintaining that loss. You can learn more about my journey at my post about how to find weight loss motivation.
20 Bible Verses for Weight Loss
Using Scripture for weight loss has been an important part of my 100-pound weight loss process.
I admit that I first, I didn’t really think to include God in my weight loss process. I’ve been a Christian all my life, but somehow I thought my weight was my problem. My thinking was that I’d gotten myself into this mess and I needed to fix it myself.
But as the journey went on, I came to realize just how much I needed God at the center of my weight loss. I came to understand His grace and compassion for me as I learned to extend it to myself.
Here are some of the Bible studies that were especially meaningful to me during the time I was losing weight. These are not specifically about food, but they are about using God’s Word to break free from the chains that bind us to our past:
Bible Verses On Losing Weight
“Let’s face it – losing weight is hard. It’s usually a much slower process than you want it to be, and it’s so easy to get discouraged, disheartened, and believe that it’s just not worth all the work when you don’t see the progress that you feel like you should.
The good news is, you don’t have to just give in to the discouragement. You have all the tools you need to fight back and the best tool of all is the double-edged sword of God’s Word!”
The Bible does not specifically reference “losing weight” but it does give us clear guidance for how we are to live our lives, including how to take care of the bodies God has created.
Read on for more specific verses that give us instruction.
How To Use Scripture To Help You Lose Weight
I used scripture a number of ways during my weight loss process, and I still use these verses today.
After I had lost about 80 pounds, I hit a long plateau. I didn’t lose any weight for over a year. Discouragement hit me hard. During this time, I turned to God’s Word for guidance.
Copy Bible Verses onto Note Cards
I copied the best Bible verses for weight loss and wrote them on note cards. I carried them around with me in my car, put them on my mirror, and stuck the cards in my calendar.
I did all I could to see the truth of God’s Word everywhere I looked in order to combat the lies of the enemy that I had incorrectly believed for so long.
I encourage you to write out these scriptures and put them somewhere you will see them daily. The bathroom mirror is a great place to hang a scripture on weight loss, and the refrigerator, too! You can even use scripture as your background image on your phone and computer.
Use the 3Ps to Conquer Food Cravings
When you are triggered to eat outside your meal plan, practice the 3 P’s. Pause, Pray, and Plan.
Pause. Take a deep breath and recognize why you are being triggered to eat outside your plan for the day. Take note of what is wrong or what is triggering you.
Pray. Read over these Bible verses for weight loss and pray them over your self. Ask God to help you at this moment. Pray these scriptures about weight loss over your whole journey and mindset on weight loss.
Plan. Plan the next step. If you must eat, have one of your healthy snacks or raw veggies. Plan out your next meal or your next day of meals.
To get your own printable Bible verses cards, click here: 7 Christian Weight Loss Affirmations
20 Bible Verses for Weight Loss
Use the 20 powerful Bible verses listed below to guide your weight loss journey. Choose the Bible verses that are most meaningful to you. Write them in your journal, use them for Bible Journaling, or write them on note cards to put up around your house.
The important thing is that you read these verses on a regular basis so that the truth of God’s word sinks deep into your heart.
Bible Verses For Weight Loss
- Your adornment must not be merely external-braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. 1 Peter 3:3-4
- Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. I Corinthians 6:19-20
- Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. I Corinthians 10:31
- For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
- For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You. 2 Chronicles 20:12
- For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11
- Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10
- All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands. I Samuel 17:47
- The eyes of all look to you in hope; you give them their food as they need it. When you open your hand, you satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing. Psalm 145:15-16
More Bible Verses for Weight Loss
- Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Matthew 6:25
- Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink even if you have no money! Take your choice of wine or milk-it’s all free! Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen and I will tell you where to get food that is good for the soul! Isaiah 55: 1-2
- For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. I Timothy 4:8
- Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. Colossians 3:2
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23
- You satisfy me more than the richest of foods. Psalm 63:5
- Trouble and anguish have found me out, but your commandments are my delight. Psalm 119:143
- The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 2:22-23
- Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10
- Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Corinthians 3:17
- Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. Ephesians 6:11
If you are struggling or feeling lonely in this weight loss journey, know you aren’t alone. I understand the struggle. Never forget that God is there to guide you.
The encouraging Bible verses above are just what you need to remind you that God loves you, values who you are, and will not leave you during this journey toward a healthier body.
Free Printable Weight Loss Bible Verses PDF
Get a free printable of these encouraging Bible verses to guide your weight loss journey.
What are your most powerful Bible verses for weight loss? Share in the comments below.
More Tools for Christian Weight Loss
7 Steps I Took to Break a 15+ Year Weight Loss Plateau – Are you wondering how to break a weight loss plateau? If you have lost some weight and gotten stuck, I understand the frustration! While it’s not easy, breaking a plateau is totally possible. After 15 years of maintaining most of a 100 pound weight loss, last year I finally broke a plateau and got to my goal weight.
25 Helpful Tools for Your Weight Loss Goals – Do you have the tools you need for weight loss success? Weight loss is tough stuff. I’ve always said that if I’m going to really go for it when it comes to my weight loss journey, there are 2 things I do. One is I use what research has proven works, and the other is I use tools for the job to help me maximize my success. I’m willing to invest money in what I need to support my efforts. Here are 25 helpful tools for your weight loss goals.
7 Christian Healthy Eating Affirmations – Do you want to eat a more healthy diet but you struggle at times with making more positive food choices? During my process of losing 100 pounds, these 7 Christian healthy eating affirmations changed my thinking about food and my diet, and I believe they will be incredibly helpful for you as well.
7 Christian Fitness Affirmations – Do you want to dedicate your fitness and exercise endeavors to God and His will for your life, but you aren’t sure exactly what that means or how to go about it? Do you feel guilty about your lack of physical activity? Maybe you feel like your attempts at moving more and trying to get fit are so small, they are not worthy of even talking to God about it. Use these 7 Christian Fitness Affirmations to change your thinking about your health and physical activity.
When You Have a Lot of Weight to Lose – Whether you have 10 pounds or 100 pounds to lose, all of us who struggle with food and eating issues face many of the same challenges. Changing your eating habits is tough. Still, there are some unique struggles for those of us who have a lot of weight to lose. In this post I will share specifically considerations for when you have a lot of weight to lose.
Pin this Bible Verses on Losing Weight Article on Pinterest