This delicious Air Fryer Country Fried Steak Strips recipe is easy and a healthier version than the traditional country fried steak you would find in a restaurant or make at home. Add mashed potatoes and your favorite veggies to top off your dinner.
Our family loves the Air Fryer and uses it often to make a healthier version of our favorite meals. This Air Fryer Country Fried Steak recipe is a huge family hit and is frequently requested.
Country Fried Steak is associated with southern cooking in the United States. It is a breaded piece of meat, usually cube steak, that is dredged in a flour mixture with spices and traditionally pan-fried until golden.
Cube steak is a cut of beef that has been flattened and tenderized leaving little indentations in the meat. It is easily available in the grocery store and is very affordable. Check out our Instant Pot Cube Steak for another recipe that uses this frugal cut of beef.
Weight Watchers Country Fried Steak
This Weightwatchers steak strips is 19 points per serving for WW Program 2023.
Air Fryer Country Fried Steak Strips with Gravy is MyWW Blue 14 points, MyWW Green 14 points, MyWW Purple 14 points per serving.
To reduce points even further, consider these swaps:
- Swap skim milk for almond milk.
- Reduce butter for gravy to 2T.
- Use jarred gravy or a packet of gravy.
- Keep in mind that points might be somewhat lower since you might not use all the flour and Panko breadcrumbs.
To make this air fryer steak recipe low carb for Aktins, Keto, gluten-free, or other low-carb lifestyles, swap wheat flour for almond flour and use crushed pork rinds instead of Panko bread crumbs.
Air Fryer Cooking is Healthier
Air Fryers have hit the market with a bang. These counter top appliances promise to make not just your favorite french fries, but also lots of different recipes for the whole family to enjoy.
Most use 75% less oil than deep fat frying. Click to keep reading as we guide you through how to choose the best air fryer for you.
How long do you cook frozen country fried steak in the air fryer?
All air fryers cook a little differently, but in general cook pre-frozen country fried steaks for around 10 minutes.
Stop your air fryer about halfway through the cooking process, flip the country fried steak, and finish the cooking time. To help food crisp up and cook thoroughly, always turn, rotate or shake contents in an air fryer basket and be sure there is room between steak pieces for air to circulate.
How do you cook cubed steak in an Air Fryer?
Here’s a guide for cooking cubed steak in the air fryer:
- After you have coated your cubed steak or country fried steak in the flour and seasoning, place it in the Air Fryer basket.
- If desired, line the bottom air fryer with parchment paper with holes in it or tinfoil with a few holes poked it. (You can also purchase specific air fryer parchment papers.) You can also spray the basket with cooking spray, although I prefer not to use cooking spray directly on my air fryer as it can cause a sticky build-up.
- Set the Air Fryer to 360 and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Turn pieces over half-way through cooking time.
How long does it take to cook steak in an Air Fryer?
The air fryer can cook a perfect piece of steak! Here’s how it’s done.
- If desired, line bottom of air fryer with air fryer parchment paper or foil with a few holes poked in it for air circulation.
- If desired, brush steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake steak for 12-17 minutes depending on thickness. Plan to turn steak over half way through cooking time. Be sure there is room for air to circulate around the pieces of meat.
- Ideally, use a meat thermometer to judge when your steak is done to your liking. Temperatures for Steak are as follows:
- 125°F for rare
- 135°F for medium rare
- 145°F for medium
- 150°F for medium well
Can you Air Fry raw meat?
Yes, you can air fry raw meat; however, just like cooking raw meat in the oven or on the stovetop, check the temperature of the meat to make sure it is cooked throughout.
What do you serve with Air Fryer Country Fried Steak?
Air Fryer Country Fried Steak goes well with Apple Broccoli Salad, bacon-wrapped asparagus, and don’t skip the bread. Have you tried our WW 2 ingredient dough? Two-ingredient dough is lower in calories and makes excellent bread or rolls.
For a total comfort food meal, check out our best ever mashed potato casserole.
Air Fryer Country Fried Steak Strips
Your family will love this down-home, comfort food country fried steak recipe, and you’ll feel great serving it because it’s made healthier in the air fryer.
Gather the ingredients for this air fryer cubed steak recipe.
Dredge steak in seasoned flour mixture and egg.
Then, dip meat pieces in Panko crumbs. These give your steak an excellent crunch.
Place steak pieces in the air fryer basket, taking care not to overcrowd since hot air circulation is what gives air-fried food it’s crunchy texture.
Air Fryer Country Fried Steak
- Air Fryer
- 6 cubed steaks
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs (pictured: whole wheat)
- 1 cup flour divided
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1.5 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cup milk divided
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp butter
- Cook’s notes: I do not season the Panko because the seasoning tends to sift to the bottom of the tray and not adhere to the meat. Also note that two or more round of cooking may be necessary to cook all of the steak strips depending on the size of the air fryer. Do not crowd the steak strips.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Spray basket with non-stick cooking spray or line basket with parchment paper or foil with holes poked in it.
- Slice cubed steak into strips.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- In a dipping tray, use a fork to mix together 2/3 cup flour, dry mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika.
- In a mixing cup, whisk 1 cup milk with egg until blended.
- Pour into another dipping tray.
- In a third dipping tray, add panko bread crumbs.
- Dip cubed steak strips in flour on both sides, shaking to remove excess.
- Then dip in the egg mixture on both sides.
- Allow excess to drip back into the tray.
- Finally, dredge the steak strip in the panko, patting on both sides to coat.
- Place steak strip in air fryer basket.
- Reserve any leftover flour mixture.
- When the air fryer basket is full (but not crowded), cook the steak strips at 360 degrees for about 7 minutes.
- Carefully flip the steak strips and cook for another 4 to 10 minutes, depending on the wattage of the air fryer.
- When the steak strips are done, transfer to a plate, sprinkle with a little salt, and keep warm.
- As the steak strips cook, prepare the gravy.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter.
- Whisk ⅓ cup of flour mixture into the butter and season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Bring to a bubble.
- Slowly add the beef broth and milk to the skillet, whisking continuously as it thickens. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally until the steak strips are ready.
The SmartPoints® or PersonalPoints value of these recipes was calculated by this web site and is provided for informational purposes only. This is not an endorsement, sponsorship or approval of this web site or its recipes by WW International, Inc.
What is your favorite gravy to use with Air Fryer Country Fried Steak? White gravy or brown gravy? Let us know in the comments below.
More Air Fryer Recipes you will enjoy
Air Fryer Panko Breaded Salmon Recipe – Healthy Air Fryer Dinner Recipe –This is the best Air Fryer Panko Breaded Salmon recipe is a delicious, healthy dinner that comes together in minutes. We predict it will quickly become a family favorite.
25 Top Weight Watchers Air Fryer Recipes – Do you have an air fryer and follow the Weight Watchers program? You might be wondering what types of foods you can make in your air fryer. These 25 top Weight Watchers Air Fryer recipes are great for air fryer cooking and will keep you on track with your points for the day.
15 Air Fryer Healthy Snack Recipes –If you want to eat healthier foods that still taste absolutely amazing, consider Air Fryer cooking. An air fryer circulates hot air which makes crispy, delicious food with a fraction of the fat of traditional frying. Check out these 15 air fryer healthy snack recipes and you are sure to find a new favorite.
Weight Watchers Air Fryer Fried Pickles –If you love pickles, have you tried fried pickles? In recent years, fried pickles have become a popular appetizer to order at restaurants. As much as I find fried pickles to be amazing, but I’m not thrilled with the heavy dose of fat that comes with the out-to-eat appetizer versions. Now you can make them at home for a fraction of the calories with this Air Fryer Fried Pickles recipe.
Air Fryer Avocado Fries –Avocado fries? Yes, you heard right! These Air Fryer Avocado fries are the perfect healthy alternative for your snacking habits.