WW members, here’s what to buy at Trader Joe’s with our Weight Watchers Trader Joe’s Shopping list. Get a complete listing of the best low points foods at this popular grocery store chain, plus a free PDF printable list to take with you to the store.
Updated November, 2023 for WeightWatchers Program 2023.
If you live near a Trader Joe’s, you probably already know that many of this store’s food selections are organic and healthier versions of America’s favorite foods at reasonable prices.
If you’re starting your WW journey, you may be confused about what you can buy and what you need to stay far away from. Scroll to the bottom where we’ve included a free printable list you can take to the store with you.
- Weight Watchers Shopping at Trader Joe's
- Weight Watchers Trader Joe's Shopping List
- Trader Joe's Weight Watchers Must-Haves
- How to Succeed and Lose Weight with Weight Watchers
- Grab your Free Printable Weight Watchers Trader Joe's Shopping List Here
Weight Watchers Shopping at Trader Joe’s
Look for the following items when shopping at your local Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, some of these items can be purchased on Amazon.com.
We’ve included the WW points values making this a complete guide. The points listed are for the basic program – diabetic points might vary.
Weight Watchers Trader Joe’s Shopping List
Here are the low point foods to buy at TJ’s grocery store.
Vegetables will forever and always be a key food to healthy eating on the WW program, and Trader Joe’s is a great place to find a wide variety at reasonable prices. Shop all your favorite veggies which are almost all ZERO points except for potatoes and other starchy veggies.
I’m a huge fan of potatoes for weight loss. Yes, they have points on WW now but they are still a very healthy food and the points are reasonable.
Also check out our Weight Watchers Walmart shopping list if that’s a store you use regularly.
Find these items in the produce section right as you enter the store.
- Trader Joe’s French green beans– 0 points
- Trader Joe’s organic riced cauliflower– 0 on all plans
- Trader Joe’s Butternut squash zig-zags– 0 points – These little squash fries are especially good. Cook them like French fries or mix them into other dishes.
- Sweet potatoes and Japanese sweet potatoes (1 medium potato) – 3 points
Find these items on the Trader Joe’s grocery store shelves where they are boxes and canned items in the middle sections.
- Trader Joe’s Protein Pancake Mix – This pancake mix is similar to Kodiak mix. It’s not necessarily lower in points than other pancake mixes, but it’s high in protein so it’s more filling. It can also be used not only for pancakes but to make muffins and other baked items. Only 3 points per 1/4 cup of dry mix.
- Trader Joe’s Pistachio Pomegranate Crips – These are seasonal so you might only be able to find them in the fall and winter, but they are worth watching for – 4 points per 11 crips.
- Speculoos Cookie Butter – Okay, let’s talk about this amazing stuff. I’ll be honest and say it’s too dangerous for me to keep in the house (right there with Nutella and canned frosting) but some WW members enjoy it in moderation – At 4 points per 1 TBSP, this is definitely a treat food.
- Trader Joe’s Nut Butters – 3 points per Tablespoon. These aren’t low in points or any different from the kinds at the grocery store, but they are high quality and you can find peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, and mixed nut butters.
- Trader Joe’s Brown Rice and Quinoa Pasta – Again, you won’t find a points savings for these pastas, but if you are avoiding wheat flour these can be a good option for you – 6 points per 2 oz serving.
Watch for the following items in the Trader Joe’s cold deli section with meats and cheeses. At my Trader Joe’s these are in the back corner of the store in cold cases. Some more specialty cheeses are in the produce section as well.
- Uncured Black Forest ham (2 oz)- 1 point
- Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo (2.5 ounce) – 5 points. This soy version of chorizo is a spicy breakfast meat alternative that is a huge points savings from regular chorizo. Stir it into eggs or make a breakfast burrito.
Be sure to check out our copycat Brownie Batter hummus recipe to make this at home.
When it comes to smart snacking, Trader Joe’s has your back, WW friend. Here are some go-to options. You’ll find these snack items toward the end of your shopping trip, in the aisles closest to check out.
- Trader Joe’s organic dark chocolate bar (1 square) – 3 points.
- Trader Joe’s organic animal crackers (17 crackers) – 5 points.
- Trader Joe’s turkey jerky (1 ounce) – 2 point – A healthier jerky, this is great for on-the-go snacking and road trips.
- Trader Joe’s sour cream and onion corn puffs (2 1/2 cups) – 4 points – Similar to a cheese puff, but with a ranch-type flavor.
- Trader Joe’s White Cheddar Corn Puffs (2 1/2 cups) – 4 points. These are a lighter version of Cheetos puffs.
Here are some lower-point Trader Joe’s bread options. In my Trader Joe’s, bread is across from the produce.
- LaTortilla factory Sonoma Carb Cutting Tortilla (1 fajita sized tortilla)– 2 point.
- Sprouted wheat bread Dave’s killer 21 seed (1 slice)– 3 points regular, 2 points thin sliced. Trader Joe’s stocks almost exclusively their own branded products, so you know an item is special when they carry a different name brand like this Dave’s bread.
- Trader Joe’s Reduced Carb Whole Wheat flour tortilla (1 tortilla) – 1 point. These tortillas are hearty and lower in points due to the additional fiber.
Click here for more low point breads for Weight Watchers.
Sauces and Seasonings
Here are good sauces and seasonings from Trader Joe’s shelves. Find these in the middle grocery section near the boxes and cans.
- Giotto tomato basil marinara sauce (1/2 cup)– 3 points – This is a great low-point spaghetti sauce. Have it with one of the above listed Trader Joe’s pastas or serve it over spaghetti squash for an even lower point meal.
- Giotto fat free pizza sauce (1/2 cup) – 1 point. Great for making WW pizza with 2 ingredient dough.
- Trader Joe’s organic maple syrup (1 Tbsp)– 2 points. Delicious for those who want to eat all-natural sweetener.
- Everything But the Bagel seasoning blend (1 tsp) – 0 points. This seasoning is very popular with WW people who make bagels with 2 ingredient dough. I like it for that and to sprinkle on my eggs or even chicken and fish. Try it as a coating for chicken wings that you put in the air fryer for a great treat. Click here for more Everything Seasoning ideas and click here to make your own Everything Seasoning at home.
Trader Joe’s offers a huge selection of frozen foods that fit well into the WW plan. Honestly, this is a place where I think TJ really shines so plan to spend plenty of time in their frozen section.
I love to keep these top-pick TJ items in my freezer for quick lunches and healthy dinner meals.
The frozen section is right after produce in Trader Joe’s stores.
- Trader Joe’s chicken tamale (1 Tamale – Chicken & Green Chili) – 4 points. Lower in points than a traditional tamale with plenty of great flavor.
- Trader Joe’s Guiltless Reduced Fat Mac n Cheese (1 container) – 10 points. This is on my list of top recommended frozen meals for WW members.
- Trader Joe’s shepherd’s pie (1 cup) – 4 points. Note that points are for 1 cup, not the whole container.
- Trader Joe’s pizza veggie burger (1 patty) – 2 points. Trader Joe’s has a wide variety of veggie burgers and flavors and I haven’t tried one yet I didn’t enjoy. They are low in points, too.
- Trader Joe’s Goyza Potstickers – Pork – 7 points for 7 items, Shrimp – 7 points for 5 items, Chicken – 5 points for 7 items. This is one of my personal favorite TJ frozen foods. Put these in the air fryer to get them nice and crispy. Serve along with a side of stir fry mixed vegetables and you’ll be full for hours. Drizzle with soy sauce or TJ’s coconut aminos.
- Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry Mix – 1 point. Just one point and so good! Serve with TJ potstickers for a real treat.
- Trader Joe’s Salmon Burgers (1 burger) – 2 points. So healthy and low in points.
- Trader Joe’s Shrimp Burgers (1 burger) – 2 points. These are so good and a favorite at my house.
- Trader Joe’s vegetarian burgers and cakes (1 cake) – 1-6 points depending on type
Trader Joe’s Weight Watchers Must-Haves
If you are new to Trader Joe’s shopping or perhaps visiting a store that’s far away, these are the top picks on my list. If you are wondering what you should buy at Trader Joe’s for Weight Watchers or what to buy at Trader Joes to lose weight, start with these favorites.
Some of these can also be purchased on Amazon.
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Trader Joe’s Gyoza Potstickers (Chicken or Pork)
- Trader Joe’s Guiltless Mac n Cheese
- Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry Mix
And if you want to splurge, add on:
- Spookios Cookie Butter
- Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken
All of these items on my Weight Watchers Trader Joe’s Shopping List are excellent choices when you’re looking to follow a Weight Watchers diet and they work for WW Program 2023, Personal Points, Freestyle, or MyWW Green, Blue and Purple plans.
What are some of your favorite Trader Joe’s items that are also Weight Watcher points-friendly? Let us know in the comments so we can share.
How to Succeed and Lose Weight with Weight Watchers
I’ve been following WW for many years and in fact lost most of my 100 lb weight loss following the program, eating healthy foods for weight loss like these from Trader Joe’s on the list below. Read more about my weight loss story here:
100 lb Weight Loss: HOW did you DO It? – How did I manage to lose 100+ pounds and keep it off? This post explains my weight loss journey.
100 lb Weight Loss: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – I get so many questions about my weight loss that I created a helpful post that explains all the details of what I eat, what I do, and products I use to maintain my weight loss.
Grab your Free Printable Weight Watchers Trader Joe’s Shopping List Here
Click here to download this helpful Trader Joe’s shopping list and bring it with you the next time you head to your local TJ store.
More WW Posts You Will Love
100+ Items to Buy at Aldi for WW Members – with free printable shopping list
Best WW Products to Buy on Amazon – Weight Watchers must-haves!